- 08-Apr-2017 to 21-Apr-2017
- - Ronald McDonald House of Indiana, Inc.
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
The Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Indiana is seeking a dynamic Chief Operations Officer to join our growing team. The COO is a critically important position in our organization, working collaboratively with the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Advancement Officer and Board of Directors to deliver on our promise of providing a home-away-from-home for parents of critically ill or injured children.
We provide a supportive home-away-from-home for families of children receiving medical care at Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health and other area hospitals, and we champion programs that improve the health, education and well-being of children.
Nurturing a community where children and their families embrace life and healing with a sense of hope, enthusiasm, courage and joy.
The Chief Operating Officer [COO] provides leadership and management of daily operational functions. These internal functions include: programs and services; volunteer programs; facility management; financial and business operations; HR administrative functions; and integrated technology functions. Within this scope and in consultation with the CEO, the COO ensures that proper operational controls, reporting procedures, staffing, and systems are in place to deliver current programs and services, effectively expand programs and services and to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency.
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential functions include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Implements and manages the programs and services delivered at both RMH Limestone and RMH Riley including all related staff.
• Initiates ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness of programs and services. Identifies new and changing needs. Recommends and implements strategies, policies and procedures to address new and changing needs.
• Manages the organization's volunteer resources program and related staff.
• Manages the organization's facility and other physical assets and related staff.
• Manages the organization's financial and business functions and related staff.
• Oversees human resource administration ensuring that proper procedures and best practices are in place for staffing and employment.
• Oversees planning, implementation and monitoring of IT systems ensuring capabilities meet organizational needs.
• Develops and maintains positive and effective relationships with appropriate management and staff of Riley/IU Health, Indiana University and other organizational partners in the effective delivery of RMHI programs and services.
• Facilitates cross departmental collaboration and communications as required by areas of responsibility.
• Attends all Finance Committee and Facility Committee meetings. Attends other committee and Board meetings as requested by the CEO. As needed, convenes advisory committees and/or task forces pertinent to areas of responsibilities.
• Responsible for planning and preparation of all portions of the annual budget within his/her scope of responsibility including capital budgeting. Works with the CEO to finalize the annual budget for the Board approval process.
• Procures and maintains relationships with all financial/HR/IT services providers and/or consultants as well as all contractors and vendors related to facility maintenance. the operation of programs and services and any other areas within the COO's scope of responsibility
• Actively networks and develops relationships with like peers in other organizations as well as within the RMHC Global community to support and promote the organization's mission and strategic plan and to stay abreast of changes in the field.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and/or CREDENTIALS
• Bachelor's degree minimum, Master's Degree preferred.
• Ten years' experience managing and leading teams. Prefer experience in key functions including: facilities/operations, volunteer services and guest services/program development.
• Experience in operating multifaceted programs with multiple funding streams and reporting requirements is essential. Experience managing large organizations with facilities needs or a residential program is a plus.
• An understanding and appreciation of the Ronald McDonald House history, organizational make-up and mission.
• A passion for children's charities, community involvement, and good stewardship.
• Superior ability to interact and communicate with a variety of people, on a one-on-one basis and in meetings and group presentations, as well as through phone, e-mail, and written reports and correspondence.
• Strong capacity to provide internal leadership to the staff and volunteers of the House.
• Ability to make independent decisions, delegate responsibility and duties, and incorporate key inputs into daily activities.
SKILLS and ABILITIES
• Superior ability to think logically in order to troubleshoot, analyze present/future situations, and make sound business decisions.
• Strong organizational and project management skills.
• Understanding of and sensitivity to the nonprofit and philanthropic sector.
• Ability to develop and implement long-range plans.
• Ability to analyze demand and make programmatic adjustments to meet demand and future needs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• This position requires the ability to stand and sit for periods of time and move intermittently throughout the workday.
• This job requires strong sensory skills such as good eyesight, good hearing, and dexterity.
• This position requires excellent speaking and listening skills.
• This position requires the ability to perform focused work with close attention to detail.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• This work takes place primarily indoors with some outdoor work/activities required.
• This work often requires individual to have a flexible work schedule (limited morning, evening and weekend work) to meet the needs of families, programs or special events.
• Use of a computer and other office equipment is necessary.
• This position requires working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
• A creative and collaborative spirit is paramount in this role.
ATTENTION: Be Prepared - To assist you and the search committee in discerning your match for the position, we suggest you prepare your responses to these questions prior to hitting "APPLY" to make your application. Applications will not be considered without question responses.
1) What 3 qualities make you an outstanding candidate for this position.
2) Share an experience where you as a supervisor helped a team member or peer improve their performance.
3) Tell us about your experience in leading cross functional teams.
4) Tell us about a time where you rallied external support for an organization, bringing in new partners to further the impact or mission. What worked well, what would you change?
5) What are the 3 things that you need to be successful in your work?
6) As our new COO what professional networks or organizations would it be important for you to be a part of? Which of those are you already active in?
7) Our COO has leadership and management of the teams that operate our Ronald McDonald House programs including: guest services, finance and accounting, facilities, volunteers and HR. Rank these five areas in order of most (1) to least (5) comfortable in leading and managing and provide 1-2 sentences explaining your rankings.
8) Please provide your expected salary range for this position.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.