- 15-Apr-2017 to 14-May-2017
- - American Legion Auxiliary National Headquarters
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Full Time
- outstanding benefits
For nearly a century, the American Legion Auxiliary has been serving, helping, and meeting the needs of our nation's veterans, military, and their families'both here and abroad. As the world's largest women's patriotic service organization, the American Legion Auxiliary National Headquarters is seeking an Event Coordinator (Registration & Logistics) who is part of a dynamic team positively focused on helping the American Legion Auxiliary work the mission.
The ALA National headquarters staff helps support the world's largest women's patriotic service organization of 800,000 members serving veterans, their families and their communities.
• Job requires travel and meeting support up to 15 percent of the time, including at least one extended period approximately 15 days and at least one extended period from 6 to 10 days duration.
• Five to ten weekend meetings both in Indianapolis and out of state are also required. Event days can be long and physically demanding.
• Serves as the registrar for meetings and events including but not limited to, National Convention, Washington DC Conference, Mission Training and Department Leadership National Conference; duties include initial set-up of online registration systems, back-office registration tasks using online registration system, registration material coordination, packet preparation and staffing on-site registration meetings.
• Works and confers with Special Projects/Operations Administrator and other staff members to execute logistical arrangements for all internal (ALA NHQ) meetings and/or events, including physical setup of meeting space and audio/visual (A/V) equipment.
• Serves as primary liaison for internal meetings by coordinating services for events such as: accommodations and transportation for participants, scheduling facilities, AV, food service, accommodating special needs requirements, and physical set up of rooms at ALA NHQ.
• Serves as primary liaison for specific assigned events. Tasks include budget management/expense tracking, catering arrangements, shipping arrangements, signage, special needs requirements. After event reviews invoices related to meetings, corresponding with hotels and/or vendors as necessary to resolve discrepancies.
• Collaborate with Logistics Planner (Large Events) and Operations Administrator to develop a logistics plan for department (state organization) training, including communicating with trainers, managing department application process, conferring with the National President on schedule, overseeing travel authorization process with Travel Coordinator, answering questions and arranging details with scheduled departments and speakers as necessary.
• Serves as point of contact for conference and convention giveaways; includes coordinating with vendors, communications/branding and placing order.
• Assists with packing and the physical load-out/load-in for events at national headquarters and on site, and manages efficient use of the event storage areas.
• Assists with general office responsibilities of the National Headquarters office at meetings sites.
• When necessary, operate IT/AV equipment on site.
• Cross training and serve as backup to the Logistics Planner (Travel), knowing the ALA NHQ Travel policy and procedures.
• Ensures appropriate and thorough records are kept for all meetings, including timelines, statistics, payment processes, and contacts.
• Performs all other duties as required.
• Solid understanding of the principles and standard practices of meeting planning and logistical complexities, including basic budget management and fiscal accountability.
• Cvent experience is required; Concur experience is preferred.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to manage time to complete multiple competing tasks and demands. Must also have the ability to self-manage during non-deadline times.
• Ability to negotiate to a satisfactory conclusion, aiming for win/win.
• Excellent communication skills to establish and maintain effective communications with staff, vendors, clients, and American Legion Auxiliary members, in a professional, timely, and courteous manner.
• Must have a high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations with individuals at all levels of the organization, demonstrating top notch customer service skills.
• Position continually requires consistent poise, tact, and diplomacy.
• Work requires continual attention to detail in composing, typing and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
• Proficiency in the use of personal computers, common audio visual equipment and a variety of software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software (e.g. Microsoft products) in a networked environment. Must demonstrate a willingness to learn new programs and contribute to group knowledge as appropriate.
• Must be able to lift and move objects weighing 25 pounds without assistance and up to 80 pounds with assistance.
• Must have the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement, and interpret the goals, objectives, and procedures requested to each meeting and/or event including needs of event speakers and distinguished guests.
• Demonstrated desire to continue improving and learning of the logistical side of meeting planning in a non-profit environment, including incorporation of new methods into existing activities and practices.
• A strong personal commitment to veterans and military families.
1. Minimum education and experience:
a. Two-year college or university degree or equivalent in field where skills are transferrable to the hospitality industry plus two years of relevant work experience; or
b. Four-year college or university degree in field where skills are transferrable to the hospitality industry or equivalent degree plus one year of related work experience; or
c. Any equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
2. Related work experience must be functional work experience that gives the employee the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the work of this position.
3. Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions and will be verified.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume online.