- 15-Apr-2017 to 14-May-2017
- - Sycamore School
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
The EC/LS Art Teacher is a specials area teacher who is responsible for teaching art curriculum to early childhood and lower school students (preschool through grade 3). Curriculum elements may include: a three-year curriculum rotation of art appreciation for preschool, prekindergarten, and kindergarten students and utilizing the Art is Fundamental curriculum for grades 1st - 3rd in preparation for the 4th-8th curriculum that follows in middle school.
Position type: Full time, exempt (For 2017-2018 Academic Year)
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. (unless otherwise specified)
Reports to: Head of Early Childhood
• Plan and execute art appreciation classes once per week for preschool, prekindergarten, and kindergarten students including preparation & implementation of weekly lessons, class setup and clean-up, gathering of supplemental materials, etc.
• Plan and execute art foundations lessons for first, second, and third grade students twice per week including preparation & implementation of bi-weekly lessons, class setup and clean-up, gathering of supplemental materials, etc.
• Organize and maintain portfolios for each child, including end of year enclosures explaining weekly lessons.
• Plan and coordinate curriculum-related field trips or guest artists when appropriate.
• Develop, update and document art curriculum as needed.
• Order and purchase supplies as needed as well as keeping inventory of storage cabinets.
• Maintain communication with parents (website, weekly explanations of lessons, notes with projects, etc.)
• Maintain communication with parents, faculty, staff and students.
• Manage parent volunteers.
• Provide trimester report cards.
• Participate in end of year summative review with Division Head.
• Attend faculty, staff, and division meetings.
• Attend workshops and other professional development opportunities to continue to grow professionally in the areas of gifted and art education.
Qualifications & Requirements:
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
• Certification in Art Education preferred
• An understanding of elements and principles of design
• Ability to draw
• Strong critical thinking skills
• Demonstrated lead teaching experience
• Understanding of and ability to differentiate curriculum, especially for young gifted students
• Knowledge of the academic and emotional needs of gifted students is highly preferred
• Experience working in a team teaching environment
• Capability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with Sycamore community
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter, current resume, copies of degrees, licenses, and certifications and names of three references with contact information to Julie Szolek-Van Valkenburgh, HR Coordinator.