- 17-Apr-2017 to 02-May-2017
- - Starfish Initiative
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the new President/CEO provides primary leadership for the ongoing management of the organization, including strategic planning, fundraising strategy and execution, board development, and day to day operations.
Starfish Initiative is dedicated to making a difference in the lives of at-risk and economically disadvantaged high school students. We assist students of promise to overcome the barriers of poverty and develop cultural capacity and leadership skills that prepare them to graduate from high school and college. Our goal is to "fill empty caps and gowns" by improving graduation rates in Indianapolis. Scholars who complete our program achieve 100% high school graduation and 96% college enrollment. United Way agency. $900K annual budget and 11 staff.
Starfish Initiative is a college access and readiness program serving economically disadvantaged high school students in Marion County, Indiana. We believe that mentoring is the key to improving the educational attainment and future of today's youth. To that end, we match every student in the Starfish program with a college-educated, volunteer adult mentor whose job is to help walk their student into college. Thanks to the guidance of their mentors, 100 percent of the Starfish Scholars who completed the four-year program have graduated from high school and 98% have been accepted by colleges or universities across Indiana ' and beyond.
Starfish was founded in 2003 by a group of local businessmen, concerned that many of the academically promising but economically disadvantaged students in Indianapolis were not getting the preparation for post-secondary education they needed to be the future leaders of our community. They founded Starfish Initiative ' the name taken from the famous "Starfish Story" ' to help economically disadvantaged students. Currently, Starfish serves approximately 340 students in 40 public, private, charter and magnet high schools.
According to a 2009 study by America's Promise Alliance, only 30 percent of urban high schoolers in Indianapolis graduate, putting Indianapolis as 50th of the top 50 cities in the country for graduation rate. With a commitment to long-term, community-based mentoring, leadership training and college access programming, Starfish Initiative is uniquely placed in the community to improve graduation rates, post-secondary educational access and make a difference for students and their families ' one at a time.
Check out the Starfish Initiative Annual Impact Report at: https://www.starfishinitiative.org/index.php/about-us/annual-impact-report
Responsibilities: More specifically, the CEO is responsible for:
• Organizational Leadership and Vision
• Fund Development and Funder Relations
• Budgeting and Fiscal Management
• Community Partnerships
• Communications, Public Relations, and Marketing
• Board Partnership and Relations
• Staff Planning, Development, Culture, and Oversight
• Program and Project Management
• Ethical and Legal Compliance, Quality Assurance and Continuous Improvement
Qualifications: Candidates should possess most of the following qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree, master's degree preferred.
• Five or more years of leadership in nonprofit, business, education, or government
• Well-connected around central Indiana or proven relationship-building skills
• Experience working on/with nonprofit boards
• Passionate about engaging others in serving youth and families
• Responsive to community/stakeholder needs
• Innovative, entrepreneurial
• High energy, Well-organized, Results-driven
• Culturally Competent
• Demonstrated ability to envision and inspire people to reach ambitious goals.
• Major donor and corporate fund development experience
• Budgeting and Fiscal Management
• Strong leader
• Great consensus builder, able to build, support and share leadership
• Community focused, great at soliciting input from community and listening
• Able to envision and implement technology
• Strategic Thinker
• Exemplary verbal & written communication skills
ATTENTION: Be Prepared - To assist you and the search committee in discerning your match for the position, we suggest you prepare your responses to these questions prior to hitting "APPLY" to make your application. Applications will not be considered without question responses.
1) Why would leading Starfish Initiative be a great match for you?
2) Provide an example of how you have taken a leadership role to bring people, organizations, and/or resources together to make a difference for your clients, organization, or community.
3) Tell us about your experience and success in developing a strong fund raising culture in your organization and expanding relationships with foundations, government funding sources, and corporate donors.
4) Tell us about your experience and success in building and maintaining relationships with individual donors.
5) Briefly explain your experience in working with operations and finances, including budgets, grants, volunteers, etc.
6) Briefly tell us about your experience working with a nonprofit board. As the staff leader - how have you effectively engaged your board?
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.