Executive Director - Fort Harrison Reuse Authority/Charitable Advisors
- 05-Nov-2017 to 04-Dec-2017
- - Fort Harrison Reuse Authority/Charitable Advisors
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
Executive Director, Fort Harrison Reuse Authority - Life Is Good at The Fort. Since the closure of Fort Benjamin Harrison army base in 1995, redevelopment of the Fort has taken hold in a major way. The City of Lawrence and the Fort Harrison Reuse Authority (FHRA), have worked together to redevelop the Fort into a mixed-use village town center. Located just nine miles from downtown Indianapolis, historic Fort Harrison sits atop a scenic campus overlooking a 1700 acre state park (boasting a championship caliber Pete Dye golf course) and offers renovated historic homes formerly occupied by officers and generals, new residential communities and senior living apartments, a continued military presence with more than 4000 employees strong at the Defense Finance and Accounting Services Center and a home to City of Lawrence offices and Greater Lawrence Chamber of Commerce.
The FHRA is currently seeking a full-time Executive Director to lead its economic development initiatives and serve as an advocate for further investment and development projects consistent with strategic goals and impact on the community. The Executive Director will work with the FHRA Board of Directors and key business partners to foster growth through business attraction, retention and expansion programs that result in the creation of jobs and capital investment. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated passion for economic development, people leadership, exceptional communication skills with sales and/or public relations experience a plus, and experience working with governmental bodies at the local, state and federal levels. This person will also ensure an attractive community setting by pursuing improvements, maintenance of common areas, and adherence to local ordinances and codes. This individual has direct oversight of the Director of Operations. Total annual operational budget is $4 million.
• Implement the policies and procedures adopted by the FHRA Board of Directors
• Prepare and implement a marketing plan and develop strategies to target businesses for recruitment.
• Evaluate development and proposals for feasibility and compliance with the FHRA's Master Plan and the Lawrence Village PUD. Prepare written. communication to developers and others in connection with proposals and report findings to the Board.
• Facilitate the implementation of local ordinances, specifications, standards, and policies related to development and redevelopment projects.
• Insure compliance of FHRA contracts including, but not limited to purchase agreements, leases, professional and support service contractors (including architects, engineers, landscaping, inclement requirements and maintenance.)
• Prepare and monitor the annual budget of the FHRA in coordination with the Board Treasurer and tax professionals advising the FHRA.
• Serve as the liaison for the FHRA to the media, citizens, local public officials, businesses, economic development organizations, community leaders, residents, contractors and consultants.
• Serve as President of the FHRA Architectural Review Committee and Lawrence Village at the Fort Home Owners Association fulfilling all related obligations.
• Prepare monthly meeting agenda and attend monthly Board meetings.
• Perform other tasks as assigned by the board.
• Bachelor's degree in public or business administration, land use and planning, or a related field. Persons with 5 to 7 years of experience in economic development, redevelopment, real estate, urban planning or a related field may also be considered. Additional certifications in these areas are a plus.
• Well-versed in basic real estate transactions and public finance.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to meet deadlines without direct supervision. Sales and or public relations experience highly desired.
• High degree of professionalism and ability to manage relationships with consultants, contractors, and diverse constituencies.
• Must be proactive and seek to diligently implement the policies and directives of the Board and possess the ability to manage projects from beginning to completion.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and/or similar software.
ATTENTION: Be Prepared - To assist you and the search committee in discerning your match for the position, we suggest you prepare your responses to these questions prior to hitting "APPLY" to make your application. Applications will not be considered without question responses.
1) Why would leading the Fort Harrison Reuse Authority be a great match for you?
2) Provide an example of how you have taken on a leadership role to bring people, organizations, and/or resources together to make a part of Indianapolis or your current community a better place to live.
3) Briefly share your familiarity working with local government – specifically understanding of Indiana Open Door Laws and public financing.
4). Share your experience evaluating the effectiveness of communication programs and marketing strategies that would apply to raising the visibility of the Fort Ben community.
5) Briefly overview your experience with real estate or economic development, developing/working with partners, and overseeing projects from start to finish.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume now.