Executive Director - Dress for Success Indianapolis
- 21-Feb-2018 to 23-Mar-2018
- - Dress for Success Indianapolis
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
Dress for Success Indianapolis (DFSI) is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to empower women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire and development tools to help women thrive in work and in life. We provide women with the supportive services they need to make life transitions that result in women achieving self-sufficiency and socioeconomic advancement.
Reporting to the board of directors, the Executive Director will have the overall strategic and operational responsibility for Dress for Success Indianapolis including fundraising, donor relations, program management, staff and volunteer engagement, budget management, and execution of its mission. The Executive Director will develop a deep knowledge of core programs, operations, and business plans and build lasting internal and external relationships that lead to the advancement of the mission. The Executive Director will be responsible for overseeing a $550,000 annual budget and a staff of seven.
Leadership and Communications:
• Works with staff, board, volunteers, and funders to accomplish the strategic plan of the organization and ensure the programs objectives are met.
• Promotes awareness and visibility of Dress for Success through a variety of forums, including public speaking, media, and other means of communication.
• Fosters, collaborates, and maintains relationships with Dress for Success Worldwide, referring agencies, local businesses, and other community organizations.
• Creates and implements a comprehensive and diverse fundraising business plan, helping to expand philanthropic support for the organization through the identification, cultivation and stewardship of individual, foundation, corporate, and public sources of revenue to grow and expand the services DFSI to meet the needs of its clients.
• Participates in the planning, implementation and evaluation of fundraising campaigns and special events.
• Responsible for obtaining financial targets agreed upon including grants receipts, event revenue, and corporate support.
• Ensures compliance with funding sources and regulatory requirements.
Program Management and Operations:
• Provides guidance for and empowers staff to develop, implement and evaluate programs to ensure they fulfill DFSI's mission, vision, and objectives.
• Responsible for the overall management and evaluation of programs including the Suits for Success program, Professional Women's Group, and Career Development Center.
• Promotes creativity, innovation and communication among the programs bringing them together to gain a greater impact by sharing resources and ideas.
• Oversees facility management including landlord relationships.
• Supports and provides guidance on the organizational team structure and the development of leadership among staff and volunteers.
• Leads, coaches, hires, and evaluates staff. Ensures talent is aligned with strategic direction and resources are effectively deployed.
• Works with the Board of Directors in developing, implementing and monitoring personnel policies and employee benefit plans to ensure a positive and productive environment.
Financial Management Responsibilities:
• Prepares the annual budget and submits to Board of Directors/Finance Committee for approval.
• Monitors receipts, expenditures and cash flow.
• Maintains a system of internal controls.
• Supervises all grants and contracts. Ensures all goals and objectives are met and funds expended appropriately and in accordance with terms of grants and contracts.
• Prudently manages the organization's resources within budget and according to regulations.
• Coordinates staff support for and attends meetings of the Board of Directors and board committees.
• Assists with the recruitment, orientation and training of board members.
• Leads the board through the development of strategic plans, policies, and priorities.
• Works with the Board President to plan board meetings.
• Brings appropriate issues and policy decisions to the board in a timely manner.
Qualifications and Requirements:
● Bachelor's degree with at least five years of management experience (preferably in a not-for-profit setting and working with a board of directors) including leading and coaching staff.
● Track record of effectively leading an outcomes-based organization; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and implemented strategies resulting in successful growth outcomes.
● Strong fundraising, marketing and public relations experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
● Excellence in organizational management with the ability to drive fund development, coach staff, and develop high-performing teams to accomplish strategic objectives.
● Knowledge and experience in successful fundraising strategies and donor relations in addition to demonstrated proficiency in grant-writing.
● Experience in public speaking, excellent written and oral communication skills, and skilled in developing positive interpersonal relationships.
● Commitment to providing and ensuing high quality programs.
● Passionate, energetic, professional, action-oriented and adaptable.
● Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
● Displays passion, idealism, integrity and a positive attitude, is mission-driven and self-directed.
ATTENTION: Be Prepared - To assist the search committee in discerning a match for the position, please prepare your responses to the questions below prior to hitting "APPLY." Applications will not be considered without question responses.
1. What experience and/or qualities do you feel make you a uniquely qualified match for the position of Executive Director of Dress for Success Indianapolis?
2. Tell us about a time where you led through a period of change and uncertainty. What was the outcome?
3. What was your greatest fundraising challenge, and how did you overcome it? What results did you ultimately achieve?
4. Tell us about the scope of your leadership experience. Please include the number of employees led as well as one of your biggest accomplishments leading a team.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume with application.
Dress for Success Indianapolis is committed to equal opportunity employment. The organization makes hiring and employment decisions without regard to an individual's race, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy (or related medical condition), sexual orientation, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.