Executive Director - Westside Community Development Corporation
- 15-May-2018 to 25-Jun-2018
- - Westside Community Dev Corp/Charitable Advisors
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- health insurance, vacation
The Westside Community Development Corporation (WCDC) has played a key role in revitalizing the Near Westside and bringing stability to its families. Since its inception in 1985, WCDC has laid the foundation for the neighborhoods of Haughville, Hawthorne, Stringtown, and We Care to prosper via housing and commercial development, property management and community planning. Bordered by White River Parkway to the east and Lynhurst Drive to the West and extending north to 21st from the CSX Railroad line, the WCDC has close proximity to some of Indy's premiere attractions including the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IUPUI's dynamic campus across the river with its infusion of thousands of millennial students and 16 Tech's 60-acre hub of entrepreneurship and innovation. Further propelled by affordable housing and a 10-minute commute to Indy's downtown, WCDC is poised for future business and economic development and is why the Westside area is becoming a "First Choice" community where people want to live and developers want to invest.
The WCDC is searching for a highly engaged Executive Director who will be a change agent in transforming the Westside into a vibrant destination with quality housing, sustainable living wages and abundant lifestyle amenities. The Executive Director will identify and implement development strategies that will serve the varied economic interests of the community and optimize housing and business/workforce opportunities for all income levels and generations.
The Executive Director will focus on retaining and expanding business and diversifying the economic base of the Westside in coordination with community, university, and government partners. Acting as a facilitator to attract corporate and philanthropic support for the WCDC initiatives, the ED will bring together diverse groups to invest in the economic development of the area. The ED will research commercial construction markets to identify new potential clients and evaluate opportunities and proposals with a dedicated focus on improving quality of life for Westside residents. This individual will negotiate contracts and assist developers and local businesses with approvals necessary for project completion including zoning matters, financial incentives, construction and general coordination of activities with city departments.
This individual will provide continuous oversight to the organization's core services which include:
• Property & Asset Management
• Community Planning for Implementation
• Home Repair Assistance
• Homeownership Development
• Rental Development & Rehab
• Supportive Services for Tenants
• Transitional Housing & Services for Homeless Families
• Commercial Development
The successful candidate must exhibit a high degree of understanding and performance in areas that include economic development, job creation, personnel management, municipal operations, innovative leadership, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external partners. He/she must have effective outward facing communication skills with sales and/or public relations experience a plus, and experience working with governmental bodies at the local, state and federal levels. This individual has direct oversight of five staff members. Compensation is $90K plus health insurance and vacation benefits.
• Ability to work effectively with people from diverse cultural, economic and ethnic backgrounds, with a thorough understanding of cultural differences
• Ability to communicate complex concepts to local neighborhood representatives and external stakeholders with diverse levels of experience and understanding
• Excellent interpersonal skills, specifically including the ability to identify new and build on existing relationships, build support, listen and provide assistance
• Initiative, creativity and a proven track-record of retaining, expanding and recruiting businesses
• Strategic planning skills
• The ability to direct a multi-disciplinary staff in the areas of planning, housing and business development,
• Fund-raising and grant writing experience and the ability to broaden the organization's investor base
• A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a wide variety of stakeholders including government officials and staff, brokers, developers, homeowners and local business owners
• Five years of progressively responsible experience in real estate or community development. Knowledge of land use planning is desirable
• Knowledge of government, business, industry, and market information that may reveal opportunities and actively seek out and identify opportunities to develop and offer new services within the community
• Self-confident and professionally assertive, self-motivated, and able to work with a high degree of autonomy while also actively collaborating with a board of directors
• Proficient with Microsoft Office products: Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, and familiar with customer relationship management systems
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills
• Well-networked with commitment to the Westside neighborhoods is desirable
Candidates for this position must possess a bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) from an accredited four-year college or university and have five or more years of progressively responsible related experience in real estate, community and/or economic development, strategic planning, and project management
ATTENTION: Be Prepared - To assist you and the search committee in discerning your match for the position, we suggest you prepare your responses to these questions prior to hitting "APPLY" to make your application. Applications will not be considered without question responses.
1) Why would leading the Westside Community Development Corporation be a great match for you?
2) Provide an example of how you have taken on a leadership role to bring people, organizations, and/or resources together to make a part of Indianapolis or your current community a better place to live.
3) Share your experience developing and implementing marketing strategies that would apply to raising the visibility and promoting the successes of the WCDC.
4) Briefly overview your experience with real estate and community development, developing/working with partners, and overseeing projects from start to finish.
5) Provide an example of when you worked effectively with people from diverse cultural, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
6) Briefly share your experience with real estate finance and debt.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.