Community Builder - MLK Center
- 01-Oct-2018 to 12-Oct-2018
- - Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Starting at $15.00 per hour
- Full Time
MLK Center is seeking a team member to lead our community building work, by building relationships that enable people to act together for the common good creating a sense of Beloved Community at the MLK Center and in our neighborhoods. The MLK Center operates from a trauma informed community building perspective engaging residents in Butler Tarkington, Crown Hill, Mapleton Fall Creek and Meridian Kessler neighborhoods.
As the Community Builder, a typical day might include the following:
• Engage parents and neighbors in a focus group about gun violence
• Go with a neighbor to the Crown Hill Neighborhood Association meeting for the first time.
• Meet with a neighbor interested in volunteering in the after school Read to Lead program
• Organizing a town hall meeting at the MLK Center about the proposed gas station
• Enter data into the Efforts to Outcomes (ETO) data base about all your contacts and connections made that week in the neighborhood
• Go with neighbors to the City County Council hearing on the Parks Department budget
• Make reminder calls to neighborhood teens about the open mic night
• Connect a neighbor to an external partner for help with roof and gutter repairs
• Organize an outside work day for corporate volunteers at the MLK Center
• Have breakfast with the new President of the Mapleton Fall Creek Neighborhood Association
• Present at the Butler Tarkington Neighborhood Association meeting about the Beloved Community Fellowship Night
• Facilitate the Books and Breakfast conversation on Saturday morning at the MLK Center
This job might be for you if:
• You have the gift to engage people. You love talking to people about your neighborhood, getting involved, connecting to others and creating change.
• You love getting to the story. Everyone has a story and you're great at getting people to find, own and share theirs.
• You like helping people solve problems. You are patient, level-headed, and cool under pressure. Especially when we come from different races, cultures, religions and backgrounds.
• You can accept constructive feedback from peers. We all have room to learn and grow, and you like asking questions until you get it right!
• You think on your feet. You like learning new things, and you can learn quickly. When things change, you know how to roll with the punches, because we're growing and changing around here.
• You are motivated and driven. You volunteer for new challenges without waiting to be asked. You're going to take ownership of the time you spend with us and truly make a difference.
• You like change and progress. You value seeing the results of your work and the power of bringing people together to foster change in their community and at the MLK Center.
To be offered this position, you need to have some experience bringing people together to build community. Where have you been involved transforming something amazing? Community building isn't really a major at most schools and it doesn't have to be previous positions titled Community Builder. Just make sure we can see where you picked up your connecting-people superpower somewhere in your cover letter or resume. We are a close-knit, hard working team. Why do you want to join us?
You will need reliable transportation to easily get from point A to point B throughout the week all over the neighborhoods and City.
Click the APPLY button for full job description and application instructions. Apply by October 12, 2018. No phone calls please.