Office Manager - MLK Center
- 01-Oct-2018 to 12-Oct-2018
- - Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Starting at $15.00 per hour
- Full Time
The MLK Center is looking for an Office Manager to keep the day to day operations running smoothly. This is a non-exempt position and reports to the Executive Director. Hours and schedule vary due to the demands of the position.
As the Office Manager, a typical day might include the following:
• Ordering food for our Beloved Community Fellowship night
• Getting a last-minute call from the Executive Director to send an important email
• Contacting our webmaster and requesting a change to the website
• Brainstorming with program staff to resolve a calendar and meeting space conflict
• Greeting guests and answering the phone at the front desk
• Surveying staff for supply needs and ordering office supplies
• Talking with a court ordered volunteer and showing her the janitor's closet
• Welcoming a potential renter to tour the conference room, and then unlock the building for that renter on a Saturday
• Running to the dollar store to purchase peanut butter and jelly when the afterschool program runs out of food
• Answering questions from the front desk about whether the reindeer should use the front door or back door
This job might be for you if:
• You have the gift of hospitality. You love responding to the needs of your co-workers and the community to solve problems. You love taking on difficult challenges and finding creative solutions. You don't get flustered easily. If you don't know the answer you'll dig until you find it.
• You like computers. You're comfortable with the Internet, Microsoft Word and Excel
• You like helping people. You are patient, level-headed, and cool under pressure.
• You can accept constructive feedback from peers. We all have room to learn and grow, and you like asking questions until you get it right!
• You pay attention to the details, and like reminding people of tasks and deadlines. Nothing falls through the cracks on your watch, because the Executive Director is dropping lots through the cracks right now.
• You think on your feet. You like learning new things, and you can learn quickly. When things change, you know how to roll with the punches, because we're growing and changing around here.
• You can explain just about anything to anyone, and you're comfortable communicating in writing and on the phone.
• You are motivated and driven. You volunteer for new challenges without waiting to be asked. You're going to take ownership of the time you spend with us and truly make a difference.
To be offered this position, you need to have some experience getting things done and helping others solve problems. It doesn't need to be traditional Operations Management or Customer Service jobs; Internships, volunteer work and side projects count. Just make sure we can see where you picked up your helping-people super powers somewhere in your cover letter or resume.
We are a close-knit, hard-working team. Why do you want to join us?
Click the APPLY button for full job description and application instructions. Apply by October 12, 2018. No phone calls please.