Match Specialist, Bilingual - Starfish Initiative
- 29-Oct-2018 to 28-Nov-2018
- - Starfish Initiative
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Commensurate with experience
- Full Time
- benefits package that includes vacation, health benefits, life insurance and mileage allowance
The mission of the Starfish Initiative, a nonprofit IRS 501(c) (3) agency located in Indianapolis, is to inspire, encourage and prepare promising, economically disadvantaged students for college and career success.
Must speak and write Spanish/English or Burmese/English. The Starfish Match Specialist is responsible for overseeing high school student/adult mentor matches, and ensuring that healthy, productive and satisfying relationships develop between the student and their individual adult mentor. The Match Specialist must be an independent problem-solver, as much of the work will focus on helping solve relational and education-focused problems for students and their families. The position also requires strong communication skills, and knowledge of higher education is preferred. The Match Specialist will work with a dynamic program team that values new ideas, collaboration, and relentless effort – all focused on our mission. This position reports to the Chief Operating and Program Officer.
Starfish Initiative is a college access and readiness program serving economically disadvantaged high school students in Marion County, Indiana. We believe that mentoring is the key to improving the educational attainment and future of today's youth. To that end, we match every student in the Starfish program with a college-educated, volunteer adult mentor whose job is to help walk their student into college.
Examples of Duties:
• Manage a team of 85+ or more student/mentor matches;
• Contact matches bi-monthly and meet mentors face to face twice a year;
• Track and update match progress and supervision notes in tracking Salesforce;
• Work with students regarding college access and career planning;
• Work with other program staff (both paid and volunteer) to coordinate a best effort on behalf of each student;
• Maintain ongoing communication with community partners that offer services to matches;
• Provide support for special projects as needed;
• Lead and assist in other programmatic functions as required, such as mentor/scholar intake process, events and/or fundraisers, to support the program;
• Represent the agency in the community;
• Provide input to monthly newsletter and other promotional pieces;
• Provide reports as needed to Chief Program Officer and/or CEO;
• Support Development team with positive match stories;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree with emphasis in social work, psychology, anthropology, education or youth development
• Spanish/English or Burmese/English speaking and writing skills
• Extremely strong organizational, writing, verbal, and interpersonal skills
• Creativity and flexibility in assuming responsibilities is essential;
• Experience working in racially, ethnically, and socio-economically diverse urban communities preferred
• Experience in higher education a plus
• Must speak and write Spanish/English or Burmese/English
• Flexible work hours, some evenings and weekends required with offsetting paid time off for "extra" event time.
For more information, visit the Starfish Initiative website, www.starfishinitiative.org.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minorities and Women Encouraged To Apply
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com