Director of Communications - Indiana Humanities
- 08-Nov-2018 to 21-Nov-2018
- - Indiana Humanities
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Competitive and commensurate with experience
- Full Time
- Health, dental and vision insurance (company pays part of employee coverage), life insurance, long-term disability insurance and 403(b) match of 10% after the first year of employment
Oversee the Indiana Humanities brand and strategically manage our communications processes and tactics.
Indiana Humanities seeks an ambitious, enthusiastic, detail-oriented communicator to join our collaborative and energetic team as the director of communications. Primary responsibilities include overseeing the Indiana Humanities brand and ensuring our communications adhere to Indiana Humanities' overall goals and strategies. To do so, the person in this position will create and implement public relations strategies related to traditional and social media, web and enewsletter delivery, printed collateral materials, fundraising and donor relations, advocacy and more. The director of communications will lead a strong and versatile communications team and work closely with the programs, grants and development teams, as well as the vice president and president/CEO. Indiana Humanities invests in communications and has won local and national awards for its communications and programs.
Daily activities will include executing communications tactics and overseeing/managing two communications professionals (with input on hiring additional team members as needed). Tasks will include: writing press releases and pitching media; developing a blog content strategy and writing or assigning posts/articles as needed; drafting enewsletter copy and social media updates; writing for and overseeing the design of collateral materials; overseeing video strategy; managing relationships with PR and communications consultants; researching best practices; and thinking critically about how best to communicate with and broaden our audiences. This person will also lead the development of a new website and, pending grant approvals, will have the opportunity to work on a number of new and exciting projects.
• Self-motivated, ambitious, collaborative, proactive, critical thinker
• Exceptional writing and editing skills'whether it's for press releases, blog posts
• Fastidious attention to detail
• Outstanding organizational skills and ability to set and meet deadlines
• Proficiency with AP Stylebook guidelines
• Familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
• Familiarity with Illustrator, Photoshop or other graphic design software a plus
• Familiarity with enewsletter software, Wordpress/HTML, and working with a database a plus
• Familiarity with best practices in traditional and social marketing strategies, especially for
• Ability and desire to manage other communications professionals and interns
• Ability to set and manage annual budgets for communications projects, including website
development, print and digital strategy, photography, video, etc.
• Availability for occasional travel within Indiana
• Experience and comfort speaking in front of audiences
• Ability to represent Indiana Humanities in person and in writing while maintaining our
reputation for warmth, service and professionalism
• Interest in the humanities and in helping provide Hoosiers with greater access to explore
literature, history, conversation-based programming and more
• Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, English or
• 7+ years of communications experience
• Manages external public and community relations activities (including but not limited to traditional and social media, website, enewsletter and collateral materials), as well as internal communications (staff and board).
• Works closely with programs, grants and development team to identify and develop communications strategies and opportunities, along with project management and execution of assignments.
• Identifies content needs (e.g., web/digital, print, video and photography), making assignments and managing execution.
• Communicates with broad and diverse audiences and develops strategies to reach various publics.
• Composes, edits and/or coordinates communications, including monthly enewsletter, weekly board update, press releases, toolkits for partners, etc.
• Coordinates special projects as assigned by president/CEO, including select correspondence, communications, presentations and research.
• Assists development team in donor stewardship'including but not limited to donor thank-you letters, sponsorship packages and member benefit fulfillment.
• Assists with development of individual and corporate fundraising strategies and appeals.
• Manages media tracking procedure.
• Represents Indiana Humanities by participating in national humanities communications activities, as well as local partner meetings and communications opportunities.
• Strives to bring new, creative ideas to Indiana Humanities as a way to deliver interesting content'in interesting ways'to our audiences.
Indiana Humanities is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer. Indiana Humanities is committed to the principle of diversity and is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people. Indiana Humanities does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and organizational need.
About Indiana Humanities
Indiana Humanities is a statewide nonprofit that encourages Hoosiers to think, read and talk. We offer an exciting and challenging opportunity for someone who is passionate about the humanities and their ability to help make our state a better place to live and work. If that's you, we'd love to have you join our team! Learn more about Indiana Humanities at www.indianahumanities.org.
Click the APPLY button to submit a resume (with references) and cover letter explaining your interest in the position to Kristen Fuhs Wells, vice president, by Nov. 21.
This position has been closed and is no longer available.
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com