Summer Nutrition Intern - Gleaners Food Bank
- 16-Feb-2019 to 17-Mar-2019
- - Gleaners’ Food Bank
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
Part-Time Internship (20 hours/week), Non-Exempt
May 13 – August 9, 2019, 13 weeks, dates flexible
May 13 – August 9, 2019, 13 weeks, dates flexible
The primary responsibility of this position is to coordinate Gleaners' Summer Nutrition Club program. This hands-on education program is designed to teach disadvantaged youth how to fuel their bodies with a variety of healthy foods and to provide them with unique opportunities to try and take home fresh fruits and vegetables.
The Summer Nutrition Intern will have the opportunity to gain hands-on professional experience working in the field of non-profit food banking, youth development, and community nutrition education programs. This position will include direct supervision, education, and skills training from Gleaners' Nutrition Manager and all responsibilities shall be consistent with Gleaners Food Bank's mission to lead the fight against hunger.
As a Summer Nutrition Intern, you will gain experience in:
• Planning, implementing, and evaluating a nutrition-focused youth program
• Tailoring information to limited resource audiences in a community setting
• Strengthening communication, teamwork, and organizational skills
• Adhering to local health and safety standards
• Better understanding the operations of a non-profit food bank
Position Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the functions/responsibilities listed below. Nothing in this description restricts the right of management to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time, without notice; however, Gleaners will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.
• Plan, implement, and evaluate the Summer Nutrition Club program in conjunction with Gleaners' Nutrition Manager. Responsibilities will include:
o Planning and teaching nutrition education lessons to children ages 5-14 at multiple community partner agencies in Marion County
o Creatively building upon program activities to expand their impact
o Communicating with partner agencies and Gleaners staff to organize program logistics
o Coordinating procurement of program food and supplies within an assigned budget
o Administering and recording program evaluation measures such as pre- and post-tests, participation data, and meaningful stories and quotes from participants
o Ensuring that all organizational safety protocols are carefully followed (e.g. handling food, taking photos, sharing information, working with youth, etc.)
• Assist Nutrition Manager and other Gleaners staff members with food bank activities and events as needed. These may include recipe development, cooking demonstrations, nutrition communications, employee wellness initiatives, and/or food distributions.
• Complete all functions while demonstrating behaviors consistent with Gleaners' mission, vision and values and as a public representative of the organization
• Serve as an active member of the Gleaners' programs team
• Promote and achieve a positive work environment
• Utilize Feeding America and Gleaners nutrition resources
• Provide input for organizational communications, including story bank, newsletter, website content, etc.
• Attend all-staff and department meetings, community meetings, and/or other meetings as needed
• Ensure that Gleaners always exemplifies the highest standards of customer service
o Ensure that all program participants, partners, clients, and staff are dealt with in a warm, courteous, and helpful manner
o Verify timely response to partners at all times and satisfactory resolution of any issues
• Perform all other duties as assigned
The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities an individual needs in order to perform this job successfully.
Education and/or Experience:
• Current college student or college graduate in a health-related field of study (such as dietetics, nutrition, public health, nursing, etc.) strongly preferred
• Working knowledge of current general nutrition guidelines (including the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and MyPlate)
• Experience in working with/educating children preferred
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication and presentation skills
• Ability to tailor information to diverse populations, particularly youth and households with limited resources
• Bilingual in Spanish is desirable, but not required
• Basic math and problem-solving skills
• Ability to record, organize, and analyze data
• Ability to work a computer, copier, telephone, and other office equipment
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel/Word/Outlook/PowerPoint and Google Docs
• Valid driver's license and clean driving record - must be insurable by company vehicle insurance provider
• Valid ServSafe Food Handler certification (or other equivalent safe food handling certification), or ability to be certified prior to June 1st, 2019
Other Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Creativity in designing program activities and enthusiasm for health education and youth development
• Ability to pleasantly work under pressure and to meet multiple project deadlines
• Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds
• Outstanding public demeanor for dealing with agencies, program participants, pantry clients, coworkers, volunteers, donors, and others
• Communication: Communicates verbal and written ideas and thoughts clearly, accurately, and respectfully; listens to others and seeks to understand others' perspectives
• Customer Service: Responds to internal and external customer needs in a timely and professional manner; maintains personal accountability and ownership for providing a high level of customer service
• Reliability/Dependability: Completes tasks accurately, thoroughly, and on time; arrives on-time to work and meetings; accepts assignments and follows through on promises and all aspects of assigned work
• Respect and Integrity: Delivers honest feedback in a supportive manner; demonstrates fair treatment of others and supports a positive environment
• Teamwork: Collaborates with and supports coworkers on projects/tasks by helping out where needed; provides adequate lead time for others to meet deadlines; is willing to help out, no matter how big or small the task
• Work Habits/Planning: Effectively plans, organizes, and prioritizes work; displays a positive attitude and remains consistent in work actions and the ability to support the team/organization
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an individual must meet in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Gleaners will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
• Ability to push, pull, lift, move, and carry up to 50 pounds up to 10% of the time
• Ability to sit and stand
• Ability to lead groups of children in light to moderate physical activity
• Ability to speak clearly
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Gleaners will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
• Office/Warehouse/Community Agency Environment
• Occasional exposure to abnormally hot, cold, and/or loud environments
• Fast-paced & deadline oriented
• Frequent use of a computer
• Works independently and with others
• Local travel up to 90% of the time
• Ability to work in all weather conditions
Gleaners Food Bank is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Click the APPLY button to apply through our website now.
This position has been closed and is no longer available.
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com