Middle School Language Arts Teacher - Sycamore School
- 23-Mar-2019 to 22-Apr-2019
- - Sycamore School
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
For 2019 - 2020 Academic Year
The Middle School Language Arts Teacher is a core area teacher who is responsible for teaching Language Arts curriculum to middle school students (grades 6 & 8). Curriculum elements include literary analysis, etymology, and composition. Language Arts classes meet every day for 50 minutes.
• Plan and execute innovative lessons for gifted students inspired by the curriculum map.
• Lead classroom discussions with students utilizing the Harkness Method.
• Supervise students both in and outside of the classroom, (recess, study hall, dances).
• Create assignments, quizzes, and tests to measure students' understanding and mastery of Language Arts.
• Plan and coordinate curriculum-related field trips or guest speakers when appropriate.
• Develop, update, and document Language Arts curriculum as needed.
• Lead a middle school advisory group.
• Teach an elective.
• Manage carpool drop-off or pick-up as needed.
• Provide trimester report cards.
• Order and purchase supplies and keep inventory of storage cabinets.
• Maintain communication with parents (emails, website, calendar, weekly explanations of lessons, notes with projects, parent conferences).
• Maintain communication with parents, faculty, staff, and students.
• Attend faculty, staff, and division meetings.
• Attend workshops and other professional development opportunities to continue to grow professionally in the areas of gifted and language arts education.
• Other duties as assigned by the Head of Middle School.
Qualifications & Requirements:
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
• Certification in Language Arts preferred
• Strong writing and communication skills
• Strong critical thinking skills
• Demonstrated lead teaching experience
• Enthusiasm about literature
• Understanding of and ability to differentiate curriculum, especially for young gifted students
• Knowledge of the academic and emotional needs of gifted middle school students
• Gifted and Talented Endorsement or High Ability Licensure is highly preferred
• Capability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with Sycamore community
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter, current resume, copies of degrees and licenses, and a contact list of 5 references to Julie Szolek-Van Valkenburgh, HR Coordinator.
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com