Special Events Assistant, Volunteers - Wheeler Mission
- 08-Apr-2019 to 07-May-2019
- - Wheeler Mission Ministries
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
The Special Events Assistant (Volunteers) supports the Director of Special Events in managing and/or providing support for various events within the organization with an emphasis on recruiting and managing volunteers. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: donor events, fundraising events, and ministry awareness events. On a case by case situation, the Special Events Assistant (Volunteers) may also be called upon to provide assistance for large ministry events benefiting another department, conferences or meetings hosted by Wheeler Mission, or meetings held at one of Wheeler's facilities by an outside organization.
Essential Details and Qualifications
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
• Faith – Possess a sincere and growing love of Christ and maintain a Christian walk that is evident of that love. Individual must be willing to sign and adhere to the WM Statement of Faith, Core Values, and Code of Conduct.
• Personality – must love people, take initiative, and be outgoing, friendly, organized, thorough, as well as have critical thinking skills.
• Strengths – able to prioritize, multi-task, pay close attention to detail, recognize volunteer needs and solutions, and manage time wisely and effectively.
• Interpersonal Skills – maintains confidentiality, remains open to others' ideas and exhibits a willingness to try new things; works well in a team atmosphere and gets along well with others; prioritizes work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
• Adaptability – adapts well to changes in the work environment, manages stress effectively, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events. The ability to follow instructions and work effectively in a team environment with associates and be equally effective working on individual projects requiring minimal direct supervision.
• Communication Skills – speaks and writes wisely, clearly, concisely, and kindly in positive or negative situations; is comfortable with and effective at conducting meetings and presentations, writing engaging emails and other materials, leading and educating groups of volunteers; effectively interacts and connects with all WM departments affected by special events and volunteers involved.
• Dependability – consistently at work and on time, willing to work overtime, weekends, and holidays when required, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve personal performance.
• Must possess a valid driver's license with a driving record acceptable to WM's insurance as well as a dependable vehicle.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR POSITION:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, some or all of the following:
• Assists the Director of Special Events in the daily administration, planning, and coordination of events as directed or assigned.
• Assists in establishing and maintaining cooperative internal relationships with those contacted in the course of work (e.g. Executive Team, Leadership Team, etc.).
• Assists the Director of Special Events in working with the Director of Marketing and Director of Communications in promoting/marketing events.
• Assists in preparing activity reports (written or verbal) on event volunteer recruitment progress and post-event follow-up and presenting reports as needed.
• Recruits, selects, and schedules individual and group volunteers to fill all special event opportunities.
• Collaborates with the volunteer ministry in recruiting efforts for event volunteers, transitioning event volunteers into regular volunteers and financial donors and vice versa, and planning volunteer appreciation events.
• Identifies leaders from within the event volunteer pool to be promoted as key volunteer leaders.
• Equips, leads, develops, and builds relationships with key volunteer leaders who oversee other event volunteers.
• Leads various trainings for special event volunteers.
• Regularly works alongside the Director of Special Events and the Special Events Assistant to ensure volunteers are properly communicated with, placed into best-suited roles, and well-equipped to accomplish their assigned opportunity.
• Attends all event meetings to assess volunteer needs and placements.
• Develops event volunteer schedules, communications, records, and reports using event volunteer registration platform(s).
• Represents WM to prospective/current event volunteers through speaking engagements, tours, and displays.
• Attends Development Department and other necessary staff meetings and training.
• Required to work all special events (including the Drumstick Dash on Thanksgiving Day). Special Event work days include days leading up to and after the event as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education, training, and/or experience equivalent to completion of a bachelor's degree with major coursework in English, event planning, volunteer management, communications, or related field.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. A bachelor's degree in volunteer management and/or special events
2. Five years of progressively responsible experience in event planning, volunteer management, fund raising, marketing, or public relations.
3. High degree of proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook software.
4. Must possess a valid state-issued driver's license.
This position has no direct staff supervisory responsibilities but will oversee all volunteer activities at each special event.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION AND DRUG TESTING:
After a "conditional offer of employment" is made, the individual must pass a background investigation which includes a consumer credit investigative report.
Wheeler Mission has a mandatory drug testing policy for all new employees. The successful applicant must submit to and pass a drug and/or alcohol test. This drug and/or alcohol testing may occur any time after the applicant receives a conditional offer of employment. All employees must sign and adhere to WM Drugs and Alcohol policy and remain free from addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com