Learning and Development Specialist - Wheeler Mission (WM)
- 15-Apr-2019 to 14-May-2019
- - Wheeler Mission Ministries
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
The Learning and Development Specialist is responsible for developing, implementing and sustaining learning and development initiatives designed to achieve individual and organizational performance objectives. This is a hands-on strategic role that analyzes training needs and works closely with department leaders and supervisors to develop and deliver in-person and online training sessions to all departments across the ministry. This role coordinates, communicates, and monitors ongoing learning opportunities and events in support of department and organizational goals. The incumbent leverages adult learning principles and strong organizational skills to facilitate the training component of key organizational projects and the ministries' Strategic Plan. Oversees and drives development experiences provided to leaders to help them improve their effectiveness in their current role while also building an internal talent pipeline to meet future business goals.
Essential Details and Qualifications
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
1. Possess a sincere love of Christ and maintain a Christian walk that is evident of that love. Individual must be willing to sign and adhere to the WM Statement of Faith, Core Values, and Code of Conduct.
2. Project management skills and the ability to apply these skills in effective working partnerships across organizational lines.
3. Aptitude and understanding of Human Resources personnel documentation, issues, and problems.
4. Interpersonal Skills – maintains confidentiality, remains open to others' ideas and exhibits a willingness to try new things; prioritizes work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
5. Adaptability – adapts well to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events. The ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates and be equally effective working on individual projects requiring minimal direct supervision.
6. Oral Communication – speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates exceptional group presentation skills and the ability to conduct meetings.
7. Written Communication – routinely edits work for spelling and grammatical errors, presents numerical data effectively, and able to read and interpret written information.
8. Dependability – consistently at work and on time, willing to work overtime when required, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve personal performance.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Assists the Director of Human Resources in the daily administration of HR training programs and other human resource functions.
2. Designs, develops, and delivers in person, online, and/or mobile platforms training sessions, which create learning solutions to further employee growth and development.
3. Designs and conducts needs assessments consulting with ministry leaders, department supervisors, and employees; analyzes results to determine the right training solutions to support business needs and strategic planning initiatives.
4. Continually monitors, reviews, and updates learning strategies to meet current and future needs of the organization, departments, and employees.
5. Oversees the planning of organizational, department, and employee training programs and classes including developing and managing the agenda, training materials and handouts. Schedules speakers, answers employee and speaker questions. Acts as liaison to the leadership team for training related issues and questions.
6. Publishes and maintains training calendars and communicates learning opportunities to the ministry through a wide variety of methods and channels, including the use of WM social media outlets. Ensures training calendar reflects department schedules and facility availability. Coordinates with department leaders to ensure learning opportunities have a minimal impact on business operations.
7. Actively and appropriately uses the Paycom "My Learning" system and other electronic learning software/technology to support delivery of learning opportunities.
8. Works with the Director of Human Resources to develop an in-service training curriculum and course structure. Creates various reports documenting training and development outcomes to ensure effectiveness and continuous improvement of exceptional learning and training programs.
9. Routinely visits WM shelters and other WM facilities to access first-hand training, employee development programs, and provide real-time peer-to-peer coaching and receive feedback.
10. Works with the Director of Strategic Planning to support and facilitate employee engagement activities, designing and developing tools to increase and maintain employee engagement at a high level.
11. Incumbent is a permanent member of the Strategic Planning Engagement Committee and actively assists the committee develop and reach appropriate engagement goals and objectives.
12. Maintains a professional and positive working relationship with clients, donors, vendors, volunteers, and fellow staff, acting with a "serving others" mindset. Adheres to the WM Employee Handbook.
13. Excellent people management skills, including the ability to influence, negotiate, and achieve results through others who are not direct reports. Demonstrates ability to work independently and as a valued member of a productive successful team.
14. Ability to take ownership, work under pressure, and meet established deadlines on time.
15. Assists the HR Director with creating and planning an annual budget and adheres to annual budget limitations for training and development programs and presentations.
16. Assists with implementation of new employee benefit plans by preparing announcements, handout materials, and other educational or training media for presentation to employees. Assists or conducts employee meetings. Develops and conducts seminars and in-service training programs designed to increase employee understanding of complicated benefit programs.
17. Maintains human resource information system records (electronic and paper) in compliance with WM Confidentiality Statement, applicable legal requirements and HIPAA regulations. Compiles reports from Paycom and other database sources as needed. Prepares and maintains employee permanent training files, assuring accuracy, compliance, and confidentially.
18. Maintains and expands knowledge and understanding of existing and proposed federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, and regulations affecting human resources management, training requirements, and overall objectives of the organization.
19. Assists the Director of Human Resources in monitoring and managing all tasks necessary to accomplish the organization's biweekly payroll processing objectives including but limited to facilitating supervisor and employee understanding of Paycom timekeeping and payroll procedures. Understands the process required to prepare biweekly payrolls for final internal approval and transfer to Paycom for processing.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing this job the employee is required to sit and stand for extended periods, stoop, bend, kneel, climb a six ladder, reach items above head level, hear, walk, use hands to handle, feel or operate equipment. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Vision requirements include the ability to see at close vision and the ability to focus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or represent a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, tasks, and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice at the discretion of the employer (WM).
Required Education and Experience:
A bachelor's degree in training and development, education, human resource management or related field of study. Knowledge of specialized adult learning principles. College level education or practical work experience in planning, conducting, and evaluating adult learning courses.
Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications, presentation, and excellent computer skills including extensive experience with Microsoft Office and Outlook. Proficient in graphic design and video editing software. A minimum of one-year experience working with Paycom or other HRIS software programs.
Must possess a valid state issued Driver's License, reliable personal transportation, and have a driving record acceptable to WMs current auto insurance carrier.
Preferred Education and Experience:
1. Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in training and/or development in a non-profit organization.
2. Experience with Paycom cloud-based payroll and human resource information management programs. Experience in creating SharePoint and Adobe PDF documents.
3. Minimum of three years of experience planning, conducting, and evaluating adult learning and development that directly aligns with specific responsibilities for this position.
Background Investigation and Drug Testing:
1. After a "conditional offer of employment" is made, the individual must pass a thorough criminal background investigation.
2. Wheeler Mission has a mandatory drug testing policy for all new employees. The successful applicant must submit to and pass a drug and/or alcohol test. This drug and/or alcohol testing may occur any time after the applicant receives a conditional offer of employment. All employees must sign and adhere to WM Drugs and Alcohol policy and remain free from addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Statement of Conflict of Interest/Confidentiality
This position requires the incumbent to sign a confidentiality statement annually.
Travel is primarily local during the business day. Occasional travel to WM facilities in Bloomington, Indiana is required as job duties demand.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.
Wheeler Mission (WM) is a privately funded 501 (c) 3 non-profit, evangelical Christian ministry whose designated purpose is religious. We are a Christ-centered ministry which is dedicated to sharing the Gospel and helping the homeless and impoverished. Wheeler Mission considers every position one of ministry and a vital and valued part of our team. Therefore, it is essential that all employees of Wheeler Mission have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and subscribe to our Mission, Vision, Statement of Faith, Core Values, and Qualifications for Employment upon hire and continuously while employed. Employees are encouraged and expected to share the Gospel as opportunities arise.
This position has been closed and is no longer available.
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com