Managing Attorney – Indiana Legal Services, Inc.
- 24-Aug-2019 to 23-Sep-2019
- - Indiana Legal Services, Inc.
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- commensurate with experience
- Full Time
- excellent fringe benefits package
This position offers an opportunity for someone committed to poverty law and equal access to justice. ILS is a non-profit law firm that provides free legal assistance throughout Indiana to low income people in civil matters. The successful applicant will work in an environment that encourages all staff members to creatively seek ways of accomplishing our mission: to use the law to fight poverty, empower clients, and improve access to justice.
The Indianapolis office provides a full range of free civil legal services to clients who qualify, pursuant to the ILS eligibility guidelines, in areas such as family, consumer, housing, health, income maintenance, prisoner re-entry, and employment. It serves clients who reside in a 17-county service area that includes one third of Indiana's population with incomes below the poverty line. The Indianapolis office is the largest of ILS's 8 offices, with a staff of approximately 40. It is currently structured in 3 units, each with a supervising attorney. ILS is funded by the Legal Services Corporation (LSC), the Indiana Civil Legal Aid Fund, United Ways, Area Agencies on Aging and approximately 20 other funding sources.
• Responsible for the legal work of more than 20 attorneys and 15 support staff; directly supervise managers within the office, including their legal work; hold staff meetings, administer performance reviews, distribute work, and foster growth and development.
• Serve as a primary representative of ILS in the community.
• Develop partnerships and working relationships with organizations in the service area.
• Ensure that the office operates in compliance with all relevant statutes, rules, and grant requirements.
• Limited grant application and grant management responsibilities.
• Work closely with ILS administration and other managing attorneys to foster collaboration with ILS staff across the state.
• Act as liaison between ILS administration and local staff.
• Manage law students and volunteers.
• Possibly maintain a small caseload.
• Dedication to the mission of Indiana Legal Services.
• Leadership and supervision skills; at least 2 years' supervision experience preferred.
• Licensed or able to become licensed to practice law in Indiana.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Negotiation skills and litigation skills.
• Ability to work as a team member.
• Minimum of 4 years legal experience; prefer prior practice in legal aid.
• Second language preferred.
• Knowledge of poverty law preferred.
Click the APPLY button to submit resume, list of 3 references with email addresses and telephone numbers, law school transcript and legal writing sample to Jon Laramore, or mail to: Indiana Legal Services, Inc., 151 North Delaware Street, Suite 1850, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
The position will remain open until filled. Preference may be given to early applicants.
Equal Employment Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer
Minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and persons with Spanish-speaking
ability are urged to apply.
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com