Executive Director - Kennedy King Memorial Initiative
- 14-Oct-2019 to 13-Nov-2019
- - Kennedy King Memorial Initiative
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Benefits include 3 weeks paid vacation and health insurance.
Exciting opportunity to manage and develop the Kennedy King Memorial Initiative (KKMI), a growing non-profit motivated by the words and values of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert Kennedy that works to inspire action and eliminate division and injustice. KKMI is looking for someone with proven leadership and relationship management experience to plan, implement, and monitor day-to-day activities and long-term strategies required to achieve our mission.
Schedule: Primarily M-F 8-5, evenings and weekends as required
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Building on the historical events of April 4, 1968, the Kennedy King Memorial Initiative (KKMI) is a 501c3 nonprofit organization inspired by the ideals of Robert F. Kennedy and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. KKMI achieves our mission -- to inspire action to eliminate division and injustice -- through annual events, strategic partnerships, and a prime destination: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Park in Indianapolis, IN. Existing informally since 1996 and formalized as a non-profit in 2015, KKMI is an organization with exciting potential.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the execution of KKMI's mission through programs, partnerships, events, and physical place-making. The ED leads the governance, fundraising, marketing, and place-making functions to ensure the successful implementation of the organization's strategic plan, financial sustainability, and establishment of the park as a container for issues of equity and justice.
Plan, implement, administer, and monitor the day-to-day activities and long-term strategies required to raise awareness, provoke thought, and inspire action to eliminate division and injustice.
• Oversee the execution of an approved strategic plan to achieve the Board's vision, including managing timelines, resources, and goals and reporting on progress
• Fundraising to ensure financial sustainability of existing and planned initiatives including grantwriting, small- and large-donor solicitation, sponsorships, and the implementation of a capital campaign to renovate the Park building
• Coordinate and execute KKMI community and partner events, including two large annual commemoration events
• Manage and promote the organization's brand, including public communication, social media, and outreach. Serve as KKMI's primary spokesperson
• Cultivate and steward relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including funders, community partners, government officials, and neighborhood residents
• Promote events, programs, partnerships, and initiatives
• Identify and act on new opportunities that align with KKMI's mission and values
• Ensure effective systems to evaluate and assess program and organizational success
• Manage consultants, vendors, interns, volunteers, and staff
• Engage and motivate Board members, committees, partners, and funders
• Develop, execute, and report on internal operating procedures in the areas of finance, governance, marketing, and programming
• Manage an annual budget
• Proven leadership and relationship management experience
• College degree with at least 5 years of senior management, project management, and/or fundraising experience
• Demonstrated ability to work in collaboration with a wide range of partners to achieve a common result
• Excellence in organizational management with the ability to manage multiple projects and partners
• Experience working with diverse perspectives and communities
• Mission-driven and self-directed
• Passion for reducing inequity, injustice, and division in our community
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Marketing/public relations skills, with the ability to engage a diverse set of audiences using traditional and social media outlets
• Fund development, including individual donor solicitation, grantwriting, and capital campaigns
• Creativity in identifying ways to achieve KKMI's mission, including opportunities for promotion, programs, partnerships, and engagement
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume to KKMI Search Committee.
This position has been closed and is no longer available.
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com