Indy Reads Books Store Manager - Indy Reads
- 21-Oct-2019 to 20-Nov-2019
- - Indy Reads
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
Indy Reads seeks a qualified store manager to supervise the daily operations at Indy Reads Books. The perfect candidate will be able to effectively manage time, multi-task, work independently, and manage a team of employees.
Indy Reads builds literacy, English language, and job readiness skills to empower adults and families to reach their full potential. With 1 in 6 Hoosiers reading at or below a fifth-grade level, our mission to promote and improve the literacy of adults and families in Central Indiana is needed now more than ever! We take a community literacy approach to teaching adult students and financial support for our programs is derived from sales at Indy Reads Books.
At Indy Reads, our vision is to Make Central Indiana 100% Literate. With 1 in 6 Hoosiers reading at or below a fifth-grade level, our mission to promote and improve the literacy of adults and families in Central Indiana is needed now more than ever! We take a community literacy approach to teaching adult students and financial support for our programs is derived from sales at Indy Reads Books.
Indy Reads seeks a qualified store manager to supervise the daily operations at Indy Reads Books. The perfect candidate will be able to effectively manage time, multi-task, work independently, and manage a team of employees. Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills are needed, as well as honesty, and great customer service skills. This position plays a vital role in building and maintaining a vibrant store culture based on community impact and customer loyalty. As the staff leader, you set an example in providing best-in-class customer service to visitors and promotion of the Indy Reads mission.
This position will collaborate with Indy Reads leadership to support the Indy Reads mission through activities and events hosted by and at Indy Reads Books. This role requires the successful organization and execution of community and promotional events in addition to regular retail responsibilities.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
● Direct and actively participates in sales and service
● Hands-on management of POS system and e-commerce site
● Supervise the control of petty cash, manages inventory and merchandising of sales floor
● Develop and implement all store policies and procedures
● Adapt to changing business needs and procedures; adjusts store schedule as needed, determine payroll implications, implement operational directives
● Complete and create required accounting reports and records in a timely manner
● Convey organizational changes and messages in a timely manner
● Effective and proactive communication with Indy Reads leadership of any needs
● Works collaboratively with Indy Reads leadership and staff to build a cohesive team that innovatively works toward the vision of 100% literacy for all
● Research and propose other revenue-generating opportunities the store may offer, including connecting potential donors to Development
● Other duties as assigned
Regular retail responsibilities
● Customer service
● Maintain inventory
● Maintain relationships with current and previous customers through exceptional customer service
● Be available to assist Sales Associates during peak business hours by being present on the floor, along with providing input and feedback throughout the selling process, ultimately filling in wherever necessary
● Meet or exceed sales expectations and formulate pricing policies by reviewing merchandising activities, determining additional needed sales promotions, authorizing clearance sales, and studying trends
● Handle all customer complaints and refund requests within 24 hours, escalate as necessary
● Analyze operations and financial statements for profitability ratios
● Secure merchandise by implementing security systems and measures
● Maintain operations by initiating, coordinating, and enforcing all program, operational, and personnel policies and procedures
● Develop events that tie into the Indy Reads mission and build community
● Develop partnerships with organizations to increase the number of events held at the bookstore
● Events management for performances, meetings, and community events held at the bookstore
● Recruit, interview, orient, and train staff members
● Supervise, schedule, and review bookstore staff
● Manage staff in meeting performance objectives, sales, and development goals
● Evaluate and coach all staff members on a continual basis through monitoring and appraisal of their job results
● Develop the skills of store staff to ensure customers receive the highest level of service through creating a customer-centric engaging environment, accurate product knowledge, and other components of customer service
● Ensure a volunteer management system is in place to provide a positive experience for volunteers that utilizes their talents
○ Volunteer Scheduling
○ Volunteer Tracking
○ Volunteer Morale
● Network with surrounding businesses
● Network in the community to develop and enhance organizational awareness
● Provide support to Marketing for social media content and posts
● Work with Marketing to provide content for the Newsletter
● Provide info to Marketing for website management and updates
● Weekly "events email" to media contacts
● Ultimate responsibility for incoming Indy Reads Books email and info requests
● Bachelor's degree required
● 2 to 4 years professional development and/or fundraising experience
● Advanced PC skills and expert proficiency in Google's G Suite. (Salesforce experience desirable).
● Ability to work with minimal supervision – self-motivated & confident
● Desire to work nights and weekends
● Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
● Possess the ability to work well in an extremely fast-paced, ever-changing environment
● Ability to work well with people from all backgrounds with varying degrees of experience
● Ability to inspire, train, motivate, challenge, and supervise volunteers
● Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to create personal relationships and to communicate effectively and deliver exceptional customer service to a variety of stakeholders (i.e. donors, sponsors, and volunteers), both verbally and in writing
ATTENTION: Be Prepared - To assist you and the search committee in discerning your match for the position, we suggest you prepare your responses to these questions prior to hitting "APPLY" to make your application. Applications will not be considered without question responses.
1. Why is the Indy Reads mission important to you and to the Central Indiana community?
2. How does Indy Reads Books support the Indy Reads mission?
3. How does your experience make you the ideal candidate for this position?
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume to Human Resources.
This position has been closed and is no longer available.
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com