Vice President & General Counsel - Independent Colleges of Indiana
- 10-Feb-2020 to 25-Feb-2020
- - Independent Colleges of Indiana, Inc. (ICI)
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
The Vice President & General Counsel works in full partnership with and under the authority of the President & CEO to advance ICI's mission to be the collective voice for its 30 member institutions. ICI's strategic priorities are: 1) to advocate for students, especially in the area of financial aid, and for the recognition and autonomy of Indiana's independent sector of higher education; and 2) to facilitate collaboration among its member colleges and universities that results in both increased collective and individual strength and visibility. By its very nature, this senior position is one that is fluid, evolving on an ongoing basis to meet the needs and priorities of the member colleges and universities. It is one that necessitates a quick learning curve, high degree of flexibility and adaptability, and a commitment to servant leadership.
Responsibilities of the ICI Vice President & General Counsel Include:
• Working with the ICI President on setting strategy and direction for the organization
• Developing and coordinating with campus leaders the strategy and advocacy with legislators and policy makers about the benefits and importance of private higher education in Indiana
• Serving as ICI's attorney on all legal matters and manager of all legal counsel ICI retains
• Directing the ICI Leadership Academy, its goals and objectives, hiring of faculty, logistics, and evaluation
• Representing the ICI President in external events as needed and ICI on various state-level committees and boards (e.g., Dual Credit Advisory Council)
• Serving as the liaison and manager of the STEM Teach grants in collaboration with the Indiana Commission for Higher Education and CELL at UIndy
• Overseeing all ICI training programs of federal and state legal and regulatory matters including Title IX, ADA, Clery Act, etc.
• Exploring the need for shared legal services for ICI member institutions to obtain cost-effective, expert legal counsel in matters related to higher education
• Working in close concert with the ICI Director of Strategic Communications and Director of Policy and Research on the organization's communications
• Navigating the differing missions, beliefs, and needs of all 30 ICI member institutions with respect and diplomacy
• Generating ideas for programs, initiatives, and responses to current and emerging needs of ICI member institutions
• Assist in preparations and execution of major ICI events, such as board meetings, ICI Presidents Day @ the Statehouse, visits to elected officials in Washington, DC
• The position allows a great deal of flexibility and responsibility with overlap among other members of the ICI staff
• J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school and 10 years of relevant experience
• Must be a member of the Indiana State Bar Association and licensed to practice in the State of Indiana
• Significant experience in higher education that indicates progressive responsibility and scope of influence. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in private higher education.
• Strong written and oral communication skills including official position statements and public presentations
• Experience or aptitude for interacting with elected and appointed officials
• Demonstrated experience in managing multiple priorities, leading teams, and working with senior executives
• Preference will be given to candidates with experience in leadership and management training
Click the APPLY button to submit the following by Feb 25.
1) A letter of interest that succinctly addresses how your experience, skills, and education corresponds to the position responsibilities and have prepared you to work with Independent Colleges of Indiana.
2) Current resume or CV, including an email address and mobile telephone number.
3) A list of three professional references with names, best telephone numbers, and email addresses (reference will not be contacted until final approval is given by the candidate).
ICI is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to an inclusive environment for all employees.
This position has been closed and is no longer available.
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com