Editor/Writer - Charitable Advisors Not-for-profit News (15-20 hours week/Part-time)
- 18-May-2020 to 17-Jul-2020
- - Charitable Advisors
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Part Time
- Paid time off, 3% retirement match, employee-directed annual charitable donation
Take the lead in capturing and sharing insights and trends about the local and national nonprofit sector. For 19 years, the weekly Not-for-profit News (NFPN) has been connecting, informing, and inspiring the local nonprofit community with news, resources and career opportunities. Charitable Advisors is a cheerleader for nonprofits and nonprofit leaders and focuses on what is working and sharing information that can strengthen leaders, individual organizations, and the local nonprofit sector. Our free e-newsletter has 14,000 subscribers and has a consistently high open rate.
This job opportunity is created by the retirement of our six year editor, who has elevated the newsletter to a high standard of thinking and writing, including recognition from the Indiana chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. We are looking for a candidate who has been in a lead role on a daily or weekly publication and understands the standards and ethics of journalism. The candidate must be skilled in interviewing, investigative writing and editing and able to develop and sustain an on-going pipeline of nonprofit story ideas. Prefer someone familiar with nonprofit operations, the local nonprofit sector and philanthropic leadership. The editor reports to the president and works with a designer, sponsorship manager and content coordinator.
The editor needs a good sense of what makes an interesting angle to a story, and can juggle the moving parts of a weekly publication. Must be able to decide which ideas should be pursued and which should get dropped in order to meet quality and accuracy standards on deadline. The goal for this position is to provide exceptional, informative, and engaging content
Primary duties include:
• Developing a lead story for each weekly edition (national or local)
• Editing/coaching NFPN sponsors on their quarterly article submissions
• Editing all newsletter content, except job ads, prior to publication
• Occasional ad hoc writing or editing assistance with marketing materials, website, or special projects like CA's biannual Central Indiana Nonprofit Salary Survey.
• Learning all newsletter team roles in order to cover for vacation or absence
• Maintaining our style guide using AP style and high standards/expectations for quality and accurate content
• Proven working experience as an editor
• Strong writing/editing/proofreading skills and an excellent portfolio
• Hands-on experience with MS Office, Photoshop or other publishing tools
• Excellent writing skills in English
• An eye for detail along with critical thinking
• Ability to prioritize and multitask
• Possession/use of interview recording/transcription tools
• Flexible schedule around newsletter production rhythm
o Thursday/Friday – finalize articles, review/validate/edit aggregation of content from other sources and compiled by the content coordinator
o Monday AM -- Zoom call with team to review/finalize weekly production/product,
o Monday PM -- send compiled newsletter with photo links (istock), links to original sources and content to designer
o Tues AM – review publication on newsletter platform (Constant Contact) to confirm accuracy
• Other – article research, phone and in-person interviews and writing; editing sponsors' articles; other editing
• Quarterly in-person story generation sessions.
• Charitable Advisors has an office in Castleton, but newsletter team members work remotely. In-person meetings have been 1-2 times/month under normal circumstances. During the current COVID-19 crisis all meetings are being conducted by Zoom.
View past editions of the newsletter at: https://charitableadvisors.com/e-newsletters/past-newsletter-editions/not-for-profit-news/
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
ATTENTION: Be Prepared - To assist you and the search committee in discerning your match for the position, we suggest you prepare your responses to these questions prior to hitting "APPLY" to make your application. Applications will not be considered without question responses.
1. What makes this position a great match for you? How does this part-time role fit into your career plans?
2. Which of your past journalism roles would be most applicable to this weekly writing and production cycle?
3. What strengths or new skills would you bring to the Charitable Advisors team?
4. If you have been a reader of the Not-for-profit News, what do you perceive we do well and where do we have room for innovation and improvement? Where do we need to be headed? How could you take us there?
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.
Applications should include three applicable writing samples or provide links. Please forward to Julie@CharitableAdvisors.com if unable to upload with resume.
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com