Executive Director – Central Indiana (Lafayette/Muncie)-- American Red Cross
- 18-Jun-2020 to 17-Jul-2020
- - American Red Cross, Indianapolis Region
- Muncie OR Lafayette, IN, USA
- competitive salary
- Full Time
- comprehensive benefits package
We are currently seeking a professional, innovative and enthusiastic Executive Director for our Central Indiana Chapter based in Muncie, Indiana. This position can be based in either Muncie OR Lafayette, Indiana.
NOTE: In order to receive full consideration, please upload a formatted copy of your updated cover letter and resume, when applying to this position.
As one of the nation's premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
This position involves very little operational responsibility. It is an external-facing, community relations position. The successful candidate must be comfortable being the face of the Red Cross in their assigned territory.
This position is responsible for supporting region-led mission capacity building, informing the regional leadership team of community needs and perceptions, and strengthening relationships across all elements of the community by communicating the American Red Cross programs, capabilities and opportunities for community involvement. Reporting to the Regional Executive, or designated span break, the position serves as the primary liaison to the community supported by Community Volunteer Leaders and the Chapter Board. This position works alongside the volunteers and employees assigned to deliver mission fulfillment in the Region and Chapter and is a member of the Region Leadership Team.
This is accomplished through the following key areas of responsibility:
1. Serves as the Face of the Red Cross to maximize Red Cross presence and connectivity in the community and expand the community's recognition of the breadth of the Red Cross contribution to the community.
2. Develops sustained community relationships to ensure capacity to achieve region mission goals.
3. Develops and manages the chapter board to effectively mobilize support and resources around the Red Cross mission.
4. Develops and manages community volunteer leaders to: serve as the Face of the Red Cross in assigned territories; to support mission capacity building by developing key community partnerships; and to recruit volunteers.
5. Influences to create an environment of teamwork and inclusion to effectively deliver against the Red Cross mission. Serves, when assigned, as a member of the Elected Officials Liaison Network supporting disaster responses across the nation.
Job Description Responsibilities:
1. Serves as the Face of the Red Cross to maximize Red Cross presence and connectivity in the community and expand the community's awareness of the breadth of the Red Cross contribution to the community.
Manages a portfolio of strategic relationships with local elected officials and key community leaders and stakeholders with specific outcomes defined jointly by the Regional Executive and the Executive Director. This includes local elected government officials, legislators, and those with potential to collaborate with the Red Cross on volunteer recruitment and engagement, the disaster cycle (prepare, respond, recovery), Service to the Armed Forces, Training Services, and/or Biomedical Services as determined by the region. Conveys information and fosters increased awareness across the community of the full extent of Red Cross service delivery in a manner as to deepen the connectivity and commitment to the Red Cross as a primary partner, meriting community support.
2. Develops sustained community relationships to ensure capacity to achieve region mission goals.
2a. Revenue: ED to lead the chapter in supporting achievement of region revenue target, including support of Sound the Alarm events/STA fundraising target achievement (as applicable) and board member external solicitation goals; and meets assigned individual fundraising target by cultivating strong United Way relationships (as applicable), meeting annual chapter board member giving campaign, and maintaining a small number of key donor accounts as defined by the Regional Executive.
2.b. Mission Capacity Building: Supports achievement of the region volunteer engagement goals, blood collection goals, and community engagement mission goals by identifying and stewarding specific strategic relationships in the community and serving as a connector for internal stakeholders for these activities. Leverages the board mission capacity committee, biomed committee, diversity committee, and community volunteer leaders to meet established goals.
3. Develops and manages the chapter board to effectively mobilize support and resources around the Red Cross mission. The chapter board must meet all published board guidance for board membership, committees, and member engagement in the mission (has all required committees; board engagement plan completed for all board members using template provided; board members understand board member giving expectations and personally meet board member give and solicitation expectations).
4. Develops, leads, and manages community volunteer leaders who are responsible for serving as the Face of the Red Cross in assigned territories; supporting mission capacity building by developing key community partnerships.
5. Influences to create an environment of teamwork and inclusion to effectively deliver against the Red Cross mission by ensuring that information flow is facilitated. The Executive Director informs the regional team, as well as volunteers and staff assigned to the chapter area, of community needs and communicates the American Red Cross programs and capacity needs to the community.
6. Serves as a member of the Elected Officials Liaison Network supporting disaster responses in the chapter area, regional area and nationally. May be asked to deploy to disasters outside the chapter jurisdiction for up to 2 weeks.
1. Customer Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external stakeholders; gets first hand stakeholder information and uses it to communicate needs to internal decision makers; acts with the stakeholders in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with stakeholders and gains their trust and respect.
2. Manage Vision and Purpose – communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; creates mileposts and symbols to rally support behind the vision; makes the vision shareable by everyone; can inspire and motivate units or organizations.
3. Informing – Provides the information people need to know to do their jobs and to feel good about being a member of the team, unit, and/or organization; provides individuals and groups with information so they can make accurate decisions; is timely with information.
4. Political Savvy – Can maneuver through complex political situations effectively and quietly; is sensitive to how people and organizations function; anticipates where the land mines are and plans his/her approach accordingly; views corporate policies as necessary part of the organizational life and works to adjust to that reality; is a maze-bright person.
5. Deal with Ambiguity – can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn't upset when things are up in the air; doesn't have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
6. Interpersonal Savvy – relates well to all kinds of people – up, down and sideways; inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate support; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can defuse high-tension situations comfortably.
7. Professionalism and Integrity – evaluates lessons learned from both successes and failures; demonstrates willingness to make commitments based on information known at the time; delivers on commitments; models a 'can-do' attitude and takes initiative; is a self-starter; inspires and motivates others to do the same. Embraces rather than resists additional responsibilities. Adheres to enterprise policies; acts with integrity; settles rather than creates conflict.
Education: Four year college degree (BS/BA) in Business, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Finance or non-profit administration or equivalent experience required. Prefer Master's degree in the field of community organization, public or business administration or non-profit management.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years related experience. Demonstrated ability to exercise good and timely judgment in complex situations. Demonstrated ability for strong communications and influencing skills along with public speaking and writing. Demonstrated ability to develop and implement fundraising strategies. Demonstrated ability to build sustain community relationships/partnerships Proven experience in influencing others and building relationships.
Management Experience: Minimum 3 years related management/supervisory experience. Experience working in an environment requiring flexibility and managing change.
Other: Proficient with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Familiarity with federal state and local employment laws.
Travel: Travel within communities served and region, occasionally division. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions. A current valid driver's license and good driving record is required.
The American Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that offers employees growth and development; team spirit; a competitive salary; and a comprehensive benefits package.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.