White River Steward - Central Indiana Land Trust
- 06-Jul-2020 to 04-Aug-2020
- - Central Indiana Land Trust, Inc.
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full-time, salaried position
- Full Time
- competitive benefits
This is a two-year grant-funded position with no guarantee of extension beyond the two-year period. Occasional need for evening or weekend events and meetings.
Founded in 1990, the Central Indiana Land Trust, Inc. (CILTI) is a nonprofit based in Indianapolis. CILTI preserves the best of Central Indiana's natural areas to benefit plants and animals and allow Hoosiers to experience the wonder of the state's natural heritage today and into the future.
The White River Steward is a position funded by a grant from the Nina Mason Pulliam Trust. This position will focus on stewardship, restoration, maintenance and public engagement at all of CILTI's White River preserves. This individual will be responsible for restoration, maintenance and access on some of our most highly visited nature preserves in Marion County and beyond.
This White River Steward will also provide opportunities for school, corporate and community groups to take a role in the river's care and restoration through volunteer opportunities and guided hikes. We estimate roughly 2,500 Hoosiers will utilize our three nature preserves along the White River in Marion County each year. This position will help provide programming to 650 users a year at our Oliver's Woods property alone. Additionally, this position will work as needed to help the stewardship team at other properties in the White River Watershed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Give Indianapolis residents an increased opportunity to experience programming related to the White River.
• Provide Hoosiers with well-maintained access points to spend more time on the river and nature preserves.
• Assist in developing stewardship projects relating to White River preserves and initiate these projects.
• Implement plans to provide public access, understanding and enjoyment of current and future White River-adjacent preserves.
• Support and/or coordinate stewardship workdays and restoration projects at properties in the White River Watershed.
• Support CILTI's ability to collaborate with other organizations and agencies, including increasing public awareness of organizational mission and goals.
• Start a volunteer docent program for Oliver's Woods with an initial goal of training 5 to 10 docents to provide regular tours and programming.
• Work with staff leadership to coordinate regular canoe trips for community leaders from our Oliver's Woods canoe launch to the White Owl canoe launch.
• Represent the organization, as needed, as a presenter/educator in various situations designed to increase public awareness of the mission and goals of CILTI's work on the White River.
• Help maintain stewardship equipment in good working order.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• A minimum of bachelor's degree or analogous experience required.
• Valid driver's license and willingness to travel frequently and extensively throughout Central Indiana.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities/activities in an independent and unstructured work setting.
• Knowledge of the White River and experience with recreation on the river is a plus.
• Experience in natural resources management, land restoration or related field.
• Outdoor leadership skills and demonstrated ability to lead informative, fun and inspiring volunteer events and hikes.
• Excellent writing and speaking skills.
• Computer savviness with strong skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook).
• Ability to traverse a variety of terrain and walk several miles in all weather conditions.
• Passion for the outdoors and the mission of the Central Indiana Land Trust.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work with and engage a diverse group of people.
• Must possess and exercise sound judgment and maintain safety, particularly when working in the field.
• Experience driving a vehicle towing a trailer preferred.
The Central Indiana Land Trust hires employees without regard to sex, race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, age and any other legally-protected category.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume to Andrea Groner, Office Manager. Or mail to: Central Indiana Land Trust, 1500 N. Delaware Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202.
No phone calls please.
This position has been closed and is no longer available.
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com