Director of Advocacy - Indy Hunger Network
- 30-Aug-2020 to 29-Sep-2020
- - Indy Hunger Network
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- We encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ people, religious minorities, recent immigrants, differently able and applicants from different generational and economic backgrounds to apply.
The Indy Hunger Network is expanding its efforts to make systemic improvements in the hunger relief system by hiring its first ever Director of Advocacy. The Director of Advocacy will contribute to the Indy Hunger Network's efforts to reduce food insecurity in Indiana by leading our advocacy efforts to improve public policy related to hunger and poverty.
The Indy Hunger Network is a collaborative organization made up of representatives of leading anti-hunger organizations and corporations in the Greater Indianapolis area. By working together, we make the systems that feed the hungry more efficient and effective. Our focus is on improving access to food, improving the nutrition of the food supply, and increasing the sustainability of the hunger relief system in our area.
The Director of Advocacy will work closely with the Indy Hunger Network's Advocacy Committee to develop strategies for raising awareness about food insecurity in Indiana and coordinate advocacy on relevant policy and legislation. This position will also work to build relationships with the offices of Indiana's local, state, and national legislators to establish the Indy Hunger Network as a trusted source of information on food insecurity and related issues. The Director of Advocacy will be responsible for educating policy makers and the general public about food insecurity and the work of the Indy Hunger Network and its member organizations. This position will report to the Managing Director of Indy Hunger Network (IHN).
- Manage a comprehensive communications strategy that meets the programmatic and advocacy objectives of IHN.
- Update and coordinate the production of all print materials, position papers, annual reports to the community, and other written materials.
- Create and distribute timely information about food insecurity in Indiana.
- Work with Indy Hunger Network program staff to ensure that the website and social media are updated and used to share information relevant to advocacy and policy.
Policy and Advocacy:
- Build strategic partnerships with organizations that will assist IHN in meeting desired policy agenda outcomes.
- Develop relationships with key elected officials, state and local agency leaders, community groups, neighborhood and business leaders, and community residents and work with them to effect policy change through legislative and administrative actions.
- Work with the IHN Advocacy Committee to identify priority areas for IHN to focus its policy and advocacy efforts on areas that will make the greatest impact.
- With the Advocacy Committee, develop a coordinated strategy for advocacy efforts and organize visits for IHN partner organization representatives with legislative offices to provide information and recommendations.
- Work with the Managing Director to identify and secure on-going funding resources to support the advocacy work of the Indy Hunger Network.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities required:
- Bachelor's degree in public policy or a related area is required
- Three or more years relevant work experience
- Strong commitment to our mission and values
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to translate complex issues into terms that are understandable by a wide variety of audiences
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and work autonomously under the pressure of deadlines
- Knowledge of policy and policy-making processes at state and national levels
- Experience working with elected officials and other decision makers
- Broad knowledge of issues affecting people living in poverty and food insecurity in the U.S.
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships, exhibiting diplomacy, judgement, and desire to work in a non-partisan manner
- Computer literacy
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.
We encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ people, religious minorities, recent immigrants, differently able and applicants from different generational and economic backgrounds to apply.
Charitable Advisors LLC https://charitableadvisors.hirecentric.com