Volunteer Engagement Manager (Store + Donation Center) (Part-time) - Wheeler Mission
- 08-Sep-2020 to 07-Oct-2020
- - Wheeler Mission Ministries
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Part Time
The Volunteer Engagement Manager, Store + Donation Center oversees volunteer involvement for the Store + Donation Center by recruiting, screening, scheduling, equipping, and communicating with volunteers. They are expected to build relationships with and ensure volunteers are successfully engaged. They collaborate with staff about volunteer needs, volunteer opportunities, and assist in volunteer development to ensure volunteers are properly equipped and integrated by Store + Donation Center Staff into positions.
Wheeler Mission (WM) is committed to giving hope that changes lives through transformational relationship with Jesus Christ. Wheeler Mission considers every position one of ministry and a vital and valued part of our team. Therefore, it is essential that all employees of Wheeler Mission have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and subscribe to our Mission, Vision, and Core Values. Employees are encouraged and expected to share the Gospel as opportunities arise.
Essential Details and Qualifications
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position:
• Faith – has a sincere and ever-growing love of Jesus with a spiritual walk evident of bearing fruit. Must be able to sign and adhere to the WM Statement of Faith as well as Core Values and Code of Conduct.
• Personality – must love people, take initiative, and be outgoing, friendly, organized, thorough, as well as have critical thinking skills.
• Strengths – able to prioritize, multi-task, pay close attention to detail, recognize volunteer needs and solutions, and manage time wisely and effectively.
• Interpersonal Skills – must be able to manage, connect with, and lead large volumes of volunteers; thrives in both an independent and team-like atmosphere; maintains confidentiality; remains open to others' ideas and exhibits a willingness to try new things, has strong conflict resolution skills, and contributes in meetings.
• Communication Skills – speaks and writes wisely, clearly, concisely, and kindly; is comfortable with and effective at conducting meetings and presentations, writing engaging emails and other materials, leading and educating groups of volunteers, and interacting with other WM employees. Basic understanding of Microsoft Office Suite required and ability to learn new technologies. Must have good phone call skills.
• Adaptability – adapts well to change, delays, or unexpected events; manages stress and competing demands effectively; able to prioritize work activities, use time efficiently and develop realistic action plans.
• Dependability – follows instructions, responds to leadership direction and coaching, solicits feedback to improve personal performance, consistently at work and on time, and willing to work overtime, weekends, and holidays, when required.
• Must possess a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record acceptable to WM's insurance as well as a dependable vehicle.
• Recruits, selects, and schedules individual and group volunteers to fill all Store + Donation Center assignments in a timely, engaging, and welcoming fashion.
• Maintains open lines of communication with all location Volunteer Supervisors to determine volunteer needs and create position descriptions, integrate volunteers into sustainable and meaningful volunteer roles, update active/pending/inactive volunteers, and resolve/prevent issues.
• Builds relationships with regular volunteers, both General and High Impact (hands-on, Christ-Centered/long-term volunteers that build relationships with guests) with the intention of retaining and maintaining a steadfast commitment to Wheeler Mission.
• Regularly works alongside other Volunteer Ministry Team members to ensure volunteers are properly communicated with and placed into best-suited volunteer opportunities.
• Consistently greets volunteers, especially at their first service date, and orients them to the location and project at hand, if needed.
• Works on transitioning episodic volunteers into regular volunteers and financial donors.
• Liaison for Volunteer Ministry and Store + Donation Center updates to the Director of Volunteer Services, with whom they meet regularly.
• Develops proficiency in and oversees volunteer schedules, communications, records, and reports using the Samaritan Technologies database, called IMPACT, as well as MS Office Suite.
• Represents WM to prospective/active volunteers and groups through speaking engagements, displays, and tours.
• Co-leads and facilitates Wheeler 101 (informational presentation to anyone interested in learning more about Wheeler).
• Attends Development and other necessary staff meetings & trainings for the Store + Donation Center.
• Assists in organizing Volunteer Appreciation efforts and supports WM special events, such as Drumstick Dash and Strength In Our Streets, and more.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting at the Store + Donation Center but will have regular opportunities for tours, speaking engagements, off-site meetings, and virtual/remote work-from-home.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing this job the employee is required to talk and hear. The occasional need to set-up and facilitate projects, sometimes outside, as well as lift boxes, tables, chairs, and other items up to 20 pounds is also required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice at the discretion of the employer (WM).
Required Education and Experience
Any combination of education, training, and/or experience equivalent to completion of a bachelor's degree with major coursework in communications, people and/or project management, or related field. Must have extensive experience using MS Office Suite.
Preferred Education and Experience
Previous experience in development or volunteer administration.
Background Investigation and Drug Testing
After a "conditional offer of employment" is made, the individual must pass a background investigation which includes a consumer credit investigative report.
Wheeler Mission has a mandatory drug testing policy for all new employees. The successful applicant must submit to and pass a drug and/or alcohol test. This drug and/or alcohol testing may occur any time after the applicant receives a conditional offer of employment. All employees must sign and adhere to WM Drugs and Alcohol policy and remain free from addiction to drugs or alcohol.
This position has no direct staff supervisory responsibilities but will oversee all volunteer activities at the Store + Donation Center as well as specified group volunteers serving within other locations. This may include regularly connecting with site Volunteer Supervisors to ensure volunteers are being utilized, equipped, led, and developed.
Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time 28-hour per week position. Typically, work hours will be between 9AM and 5PM, but must be willing to work a very flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, some holidays and overtime as job duties demand.
Travel is primarily local and mainly during the business day and may include traveling to WM facilities in Bloomington, Indiana as well as special event locations as job duties demand.
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.