Youth and Young Adult (YYA) Coach - Outreach
- 14-Sep-2020 to 13-Oct-2020
- - Outreach, Inc.
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- $36,000 annually
- Full Time
- Competitive health/vision/dental package and paid life insurance, 3-weeks paid vacation, 12 paid holidays, paid sick days, and paid quarterly Spiritual Formation Days
The Youth and Young Adult (YYA) Coach is a key member of the Outreach team, serving nearly 500 homeless youth and young adults (ages 14-24) annually in high schools, Outreach program centers, and community organizations through Marion County. The responsibility of this role is to support and coach youth and young adults in self-empowerment and self-advocacy.
Outreach is a faith-based nonprofit organization in Indianapolis, Indiana that works with youth and young adults (ages 14-24) experiencing homelessness with the compassion of Jesus Christ. Our mission is to equip and empower homeless youth and young adults to achieve stability and life transformation.
Position Responsibilities & Qualifications
• Being responsible for intake of new youth and young adults referred to Outreach
• Actively engage youth and young adults experiencing homelessness at assigned street outreach sties, community agencies, schools, and/or program centers throughout Marion county.
• Intentionally build relationships and coach young adults in both individual and group environments
• Facilitate group conversations with youth on topics including, but not limited to: conflict management, relationships health and safety, coping strategies, etc.
• Provide wraparound services by connecting and coordinating resources for youth to obtain basic needs, counseling services, applications for various housing, employment, medical, financial resources, etc.
• Support youth and young adults in setting measurable goals and monitor goal progress of each person
• Transport and accompany youth to appointments, as appropriate
• Advocate for and support youth in the Marion county community and public school systems
• Build and maintain supportive relationships with community organizations, McKinney Vento Liaisons and school staff
• Maintain accurate documentation of individual and group interactions in database, and provide regular reporting to supervisor
• Responsible for monitoring costs related to youth outings and meals
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity, confidentiality and be a team player. Outreach also values innovative thinking, and a successful candidate will be a self-starter who can work within the team to achieve goals and objectives. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, flexibility and adaptability. The individual must possess a strong work ethic and can work well both independently and with a team.
Preferred Education & Experience:
• 4+ years' experience working with youth and young adults preferred
• Bachelor's degree in related field (social work, sociology, child & family development, etc.) preferred, but not required. Relevant life experience is valuable for this position
ATTENTION: Be Prepared - To assist you and the search committee in discerning your match for the position, we suggest you prepare your responses to these questions before hitting "APPLY." Applications will not be considered without responses to these questions.
1. Describe your experience working in a team and highlight what you have learned through the challenges and successes.
2. What is your experience working alongside youth through their disappointments and successes?
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter, resume, and references.