Development Manager - Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic
- 20-Sep-2020 to 19-Oct-2020
- - Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
Ensure the Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic has a well-implemented and wellorganized marketing and development plan. Oversee and supervise the team involved in the core "outward-facing" activities of the Clinic, such as marketing, development, and engagement functions. Working with the Executive Director and members of the Management Team, sets and tracks the progress of organizational fundraising.
DESCRIPTION OF THE CLINIC
The Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic was launched in 1994 because of a sermon given at Tabernacle Presbyterian Church that called attorneys to give of their time for the beauty of the city. Started as an entirely volunteer-driven effort, the Clinic now has two offices'the main office in Indianapolis and one in Fort Wayne'and 37 staff members, including 12 attorneys. Further, our services embrace a broad swathe of the legal spectrum. We provide counsel to folks going through foreclosure, mediation for lowincome neighbors in family law disputes, immigration services to folks fleeing persecution, federal income tax advocacy, re-entry legal assistance for those coming out of prison, and consumer law litigation.
The mission of the Clinic is "to promote justice through legal representation and education for our lowincome neighbors as a way of demonstrating Christ's love." For us, justice means making sure that marginalized low-income folks have access to right judgments from the courts, as well as right relationships with other people, with governments, and with God through Jesus Christ. See Acts 4:2; Ephesians 2.
We also exist to demonstrate the love of Christ through our work. We come alongside our low-income neighbors'we do not condescend. We love sacrificially'we do not seek out only what's convenient. And we live incarnationally'we are in our clients' neighborhoods. And the way we serve our clients comes out of a rich and meditative reading of Jesus' ministry on earth. We love the marginalized with deep concern and gentleness (Matt. 12:15-21) and we advocate with tremendous ferocity when there is injustice against them (Matt. 23).
The Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic is looking for a compassionate and driven Development Manager to "seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God" (Micah 6:8) as a Development Manager in our Strategic Development department. The Development Manager will advance the mission by planning and executing the Clinic's fundraising and marketing to ensure we are providing the best service we can to our clients, stakeholders and donors. The Strategic Development team focuses on the various methods of fundraising and communicating about those services effectively to a wide range of stakeholders. The work happens in a collaborative team environment with both Clinic staff members and other community partners. This position will successfully advance the Clinic's mission if development goals are met and support the Clinic's mission.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Co-create and implement an annual development plan
• Lead all fundraising events and planning efforts
• Maintain excellent relationships with all constituents, including donors, sponsors, and funders
• Provide monthly progress reports to Executive Director on fundraising status
• Collaborate with the Clinic's network to cultivate new donors, sponsors, and funders
• Oversee timely and accurate data entry in donor database
• Lead the development or revision of all fundraising materials
• Lead the identification, selection, and implementation of all development software tools
• Review and update various elements of the Clinic's marketing and engagement materials
• Work with the Executive Director, Management Team, and the Development Committee of the
Board of Directors to create and implement a coherent engagement and brand strategy
• Lead the identification, selection, and implementation of all event software tools
• Supervise the Events & Education Coordinator and the Development Coordinator
• Delegate tasks to achieve fundraising goals
• Coordinate with the Executive Director and the leadership of other Clinic functional areas to maintain the integrity of the programs and discuss strategies, policies, and procedures within the various programs.
• Be involved with the hiring, position-change, and termination processes within the Development team
• Meet with Development Team on a regular basis for managerial troubleshooting, visionimplementation
Special Projects (5%)
• Be available to the Executive Director to take on various assigned projects, such as engagement with development, marketing, and social media consultants
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Passion for the Clinic's vision and mission
• Intellectual curiosity about the Clinic's legal aid practice areas, business models, and functional improvement
• Proven ability to co-create appropriate fundraising goals and achieve them with a small team
• Knowledge of management principles and business practices in a nonprofit setting
• Knowledge of development, marketing, social media, and constituent engagement principles
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to cultivate relationships
• Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written
• Ability to communicate well with a broad swath of community partners and donors
• Strategic mindset
• Ability to be creative and develop innovative solutions to problems
• Ability to listen carefully and combine swift decision-making with calm discretion
• Self-motivated, deadline-driven, multi-tasker
CREDENTIALS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Four-year degree from an accredited college or university in business, non-profit management or related field
• Four+ years sales or business development experience
• Proficient with sponsorship solicitations
• Proficient with MS Office applications and CRMs
• Proficient with social media platforms
• Understanding of best practices in development and engagement
• Available to work some evenings for special events
Click the APPLY button for instructions and application.
No phone calls, please.
Please note: Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic is currently operating under altered business practices due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Candidates should expect to temporarily work from home and will be provided the necessary equipment to work remotely.