Social Worker - Indianapolis Public Library
- 20-Sep-2020 to 19-Oct-2020
- - Indianapolis Public Library
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- robust compensation package
Schedule: May vary, but will include day, evening, and weekend hours (including some Sundays)
Under limited direction, the social worker actively connects with library patrons to build ongoing productive relationships. The social worker works directly with those patrons needing social service assistance by providing information, support, and referrals to appropriate organizations. This position serves as a resource for library staff to assist in service to patrons; models effective techniques for working with patrons experiencing mental health, substance abuse, unstable housing, or other needs. This position provides formal and informal training to staff. The social worker represents Indianapolis Public Library interests in interactions with area social service agencies, governmental entities, and other relevant organizations.
A successful candidate will...
• Have a Master's Degree in social work from a CSWE-accredited school.
• Have a social work license in Indiana (LSW or LCSW).
• Have a minimum of two years post-MSW practice experience is required, including
experience in at least some of the following- case management, crisis intervention,
deescalation, training, advocacy, and/or program evaluation with people experiencing
homelessness, mental illness, and/or substance use disorders.
• Have the ability to set up the systems and processes necessary as the first full time social worker in this branch or any branch location of IndyPL.
• Experience supervising BSW and/or MSW students preferred, but not required.
• Be bilingual in Spanish and English (preferred but not required).
What does the job look like?
• Identify library patrons who may benefit from social service support through outreach, direct observation, or referral by library staff.
• Meet individually with library patrons in order to provide referral services or address issues in ways that are consistent with the mission, services, and constraints of the Indianapolis Public Library.
• Assess patron's identified needs including those related to housing, mental health, primary care, substance abuse, case management, etc.
• Provide current and relevant information, support, referrals, and assistance to patrons
experiencing mental health issues, substance abuse, unstable housing, or other needs as
• Provide short-term case management for library patrons who need assistance connecting
with other community resources for ongoing services.
• Coach, model, and serve as a resource for staff in best practices related to working with vulnerable populations and customers.
• Provide crisis assistance and intervention in the library as needed.
• Develop partnerships with area agencies and stakeholders in order to provide services within the library or make referrals to off-site services available to library patrons. Participates in community engagement and outreach, and assists in community-based initiatives.
• Provide expert information as part of library planning processes, leads projects that intersect with services to vulnerable or at-risk populations, identifies and advocates for vulnerable populations, and helps guide efforts to evaluate and assess service delivery to at-risk customers.
• Partner with security and other staff in order to help address underlying issues related to conduct that disrupts.
• Represent the library in networking with other agency representatives and at community
meetings, as related to the essential duties.
• Serve as a resource for library administration and policy-makers on issues relevant to
patrons experiencing mental health issues, substance abuse, unstable housing, or exclusion issues.
• Track trends among Library-based social workers and other relevant service providers,
exchange knowledge with peer libraries and agencies, and implements promising new
• Supervise social work practicum students.
• Design and implement systems and processes necessary as the first full time social worker in this library.
• Able to work the normally scheduled work time for this position.
• Able to cope with daily job-related stress.
Note: This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The list of essential functions does not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent in this position.
What's In It for You?
We offer our employees a robust compensation package! Our comprehensive benefits include:
medical, dental and vision insurance coverage; 100% company-paid long term disability, low rates on group life coverage, a Library paid pension plan, generous amounts of PTO and 9 paid holidays per year.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
Click the APPLY button to apply online by Oct 4.