Director of Marketing - Indianapolis Zoo
- 20-Nov-2020 to 19-Dec-2020
- - Indianapolis Zoo
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- competitive and commensurate with experience
- Full Time
Help us protect nature and inspire people to care about our world by bringing your leadership and strategic marketing skills to our Director of Marketing position at the Indianapolis Zoo!
The Zoo is looking for a hands-on, experienced Director of Marketing with proven ability to deliver profitability to direct and oversee the growth of its brand and to design, implement and monitor effective marketing strategies that align with our mission and business goals.
In this role, you'll be responsible for advertising, marketing events, sponsorships, promotions, and sales. Through successful management of five direct reports, clear goal setting and project oversite, the director is expected to achieve revenue growth of at least $2 million from sales and sponsorships, drive attendance to exceed annual goal of 1 million visitors, grow profitability, and create a sustainable short and long-term growth plan for the department.
The Director will develop and implement audience development strategies, income-generating opportunities, enhance/expand existing events and promotions by applying research insights, performance media, digital / web engagement, data and analytics.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develops and implements a comprehensive marketing plan for growth including advertising, facility sales, sponsorship and events.
• Develops and manages department budgets and Business Plans.
• Provides supervision, technical guidance and operational assistance to direct reports.
• Analyze and evaluate marketing/sales actives and trends. Present reports to leadership on a regular basis.
• Coordinates institutional research efforts. Develops, conducts, analyzes and distributes results on visitor surveys and annual market research projects.
• Obtain and manage any external contractors.
• Negotiates and maintains advertising and promotion media agreements.
• Responsible for development and distribution of collateral material and publications including maps, informational brochures and advertising materials.
• Maintain strong contacts within the industry and community. Stay abreast of best practices and emerging industry trends.
1. Relationship Management' Must bring excellent collaboration and networking skills – especially demonstrated skills at building partnerships. Must be confident and politically astute in interactions with the general public, members, corporate partners, and other industry experts. High EQ.
2. Planning and Organization' Integrates changes smoothly. Plans for additional resources. Prioritizes and plans work activities. Sets goals and objectives. Uses time efficiently. Works in an organized manner.
3. Strategic Thinking – Adapts strategy to changing conditions. Analyzes market and competition. Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals. Identifies external opportunities. Understands organizations strengths and weaknesses.
4. Project and People Management'Possess extensive experience in the management, supervision, and development of staff and the assessment of resource needs and their fulfillment. Demonstrates strong communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills. Must have demonstrated experience in the implementation of plans into action, process management, problem solving, and the completion of quality outcomes/products on schedule.
5. Innovation' Must have demonstrated success in entrepreneurial risk taking. Must be savvy and know when to use technical know-how and where to look for solutions. Must be creative and resourceful in identifying solutions.
6. Integrity and Dependability' Must embody high ethical standards and values, be a team player and own up to mistakes as well as successes. Commits to doing the best job possible. Keeps commitments. Follows through on directives. Responds to requests for service and assistance. Takes responsibility for own actions.
7. Technological Aptitude – Exhibits a high degree of knowledge and experience with information technology, including but not limited to association management systems and web technology. Adapts to new technologies. Demonstrates required skills. Keeps technical skills up to date. Troubleshoots technological problems. Uses technology to increase productivity.
8. Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Puts success of team above own interests. Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives. Supports everyone 's efforts to succeed.
9. Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations. Responds promptly to customer needs. Solicits customer feedback to improve service. Responds to requests for service and assistance. Meets commitments.
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution in Marketing, Communications or relevant field; MBA a plus.
• Minimum of 10 years work experience in marketing – preferably with a zoo, museum, or amusement park.
• At least 2 years experience of managing direct reports.
• A successful track record of progressive marketing experience.
• Three years of experience with visitor-based marketing preferred with a background in advertising, sponsorship and sales required.
• Must be able to meet the physical demands of the job.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The compensation for this role is competitive and is commensurate with experience. Please include your compensation requirement on the employment application, or include this information in your cover letter.
Insurance is effective on the first of the month after 30 days of service, and includes medical, dental, vision and life. Eligible for no cost Short Term Disability Benefit plan after one (1) year of service. Paid holidays and 403B plan participation from date of hire. Paid Time Off is granted after 90 days of service. Once eligible, 40 hours of PTO is granted per quarter.
Successfully passing pre-employment drug test, driving record check, and criminal history check is a condition of employment. Only online applications are considered. Mailed, faxed, or delivered applications are not accepted. To help ensure receipt of your online application, it is recommended applicants use a computer running Windows XP or higher, with at least Internet Explorer 8, Google Chrome, or Safari.
Click the APPLY button for online application.
A cover letter and up-to-date resume must be attached to the on-line application.
In the "Position Desired" section of the on-line application, please enter "Director of Marketing ", and please indicate your salary requirement either on the application form or in your cover letter.
The Indianapolis Zoo is a drug-free/smoke-free/child safe workplace and an equal opportunity employer.