Sr. Litigation Paralegal - Charitable Allies, Inc.
- 20-Nov-2020 to 19-Dec-2020
- - Charitable Allies
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- $65,000 and $75,000 annually
- Full Time
- benefits available
We're a nonprofit law firm with a huge work ethic that not only invests strongly in our people and their professional growth, but that also still takes time out to have fun on occasion.
About the Position
Currently seeking an experienced (at least 10 years) business and financial litigation paralegal that wants to work hard and sees the future full of personal career growth and success while representing nonprofits. Slackers need not apply! ;-)
This is an exciting Sr. Litigation Paralegal opportunity, based in Indianapolis IN, that offers a variety of complex legal matters and projects. The ideal candidate for this position is someone who has "BigLaw," boutique or highly-specialized experience but who needs/wants better work-life balance while still being able to do the high-end work they are accustomed to. Compensation is commensurate with experience and anticipated workload and is very high for nonprofit law firms, but the position should provide a good work-life balance. Come help us save the turtles!
• Provides administrative litigation support to our team of attorneys.
• Researches law, investigates facts, and independently prepares documents to assist attorneys with matters.
• Summarizes complex legal documents.
• Determines and calendars deadlines.
• Files pleadings with court clerk.
• Prepares reports, correspondence, declarations and complaints.
• Oversees the progress of documents through litigation, orders transcripts/medical records, etc. from third party entities and fulfills requests from outside counsel and others.
• Communicates with witnesses and experts.
• Coordinates document productions including bates-stamping, redaction, duplication and electronic filing of documents.
• Prepares for and attends trials/arbitrations: organizes exhibits, files and all other supporting documents; coordinates trial set-up and logistics; and assists attorneys in the courtroom.
• Enters billing and time entry data into firm system in a timely manner.
• Discovery: Organizes documents; drafts preliminary discovery requests; reviews, analyzes and summarizes discovery responses; and prepares initial responses to discovery requests. Prepares document subpoenas to third parties.
• Works independently and cross-functionally to bring team members together to efficiently and effectively execute the company's growth strategy.
• Requires strong organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple high-priority projects simultaneously and a willingness to be flexible in a fast-paced environment.
• Ensures efficient and timely communication with colleagues and team members.
• Provides talking points for nonprofit boards and Officers in regards to litigation to engage stakeholders and keep them informed.
• 10-15 years of paralegal experience
• Experience in financial litigation, corporate bankruptcy, corporate governance disputes, and/or document discovery is a significant plus
• Strong drafting and communication skills
• Strong interest in litigation
• Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics, as well as respect for others
• Excellent relationship-building skills and the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and clients across various disciplines and cultures
• Proficient in all Microsoft applications (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Lexis-Nexis (Accurint) and WestLaw, Document and Client Management Systems (including Dropbox and Salesforce)
• Proficiency with Google G Suite for Business
• Excellent interpersonal skills and high-level attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
• Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and a self-started
• High degree of flexibility
• Positive and "can do" attitude
• Effective organization and time management skills
• BA/BS Degree preferred
• Paralegal certification/degree from accredited college or university preferred; willing to accept significant highly-relevant paralegal experience in lieu
• Demonstrated regular attendance at advanced paralegal CLEs
Compensation and Benefits
Pay is excellent for the sector! This full-time position pays between $65,000 and $75,000 annually. Additional benefits include options such as our 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan with a 5% employer match, a QSE-HRA (2021 limits: $5,300/individual or $10,700/family), paid time off, paid opportunities for professional development and continuing education, and other personal and professional benefits.
Charitable Allies is located next to the Pyramids on the northwest side of Indianapolis, at 9100 Purdue Road, Suite 115, Indianapolis, IN 46268. Plan to work from this office at least 2 days per week, with the opportunity to work remotely the other 3 days per week (to be adjusted as needed with COVID-19 precautions and restrictions).
Andrew Emhardt, Staff Attorney II and Program Officer
Mark Pizur, Senior Staff Attorney and Program Officer
Zac Kester, Managing Attorney and Executive Director
About the Organization
Charitable Allies is a legal aid law firm for nonprofit organizations. We assist nonprofits across the country to get started and operate well. We also regularly litigate on their behalf. We're organized and operated as a "low bono" 501(c)(3) legal aid law firm for nonprofits, which basically means we're a law firm for small businesses that happen to be nonprofits!
Although this timeline is not rigid, we're hoping to have this position filled and this person started by January 4, 2021. First interviews to take place the first full week of December with second interviews the second week and an offer in time for a January 4th start.
Click the APPLY button for application instructions.