Bilingual Retention in Care Specialist (New position) - Damien Center
- 30-Nov-2020 to 29-Dec-2020
- - Damien Center
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
The Bilingual Retention in Care Specialist provides bilingual (Spanish and English) intensive, patient-centered services for persons living with HIV/AIDS who are at risk of falling out of or have recently fallen out of medical care, case management, housing services, or other supportive services. The specialist provides support with the goal of helping the client maintain overall health and viral suppression. The specialist conducts assessments on issues as identified by the client and mutually agreed upon. The Retention in Care Specialist coordinates with internal staff and programs to identify candidates who are facing difficult life situations or have recently dropped out of care and engages with the clients to minimize barriers to care. The specialist must be fully fluent in Spanish and culturally competent with Latinx populations.
• Coordinate internally with programs to identify clients who are at risk of falling out of care through assessment of medication adherence, housing status, substance use, mental health status, and other barriers that may increase the likelihood of falling out of care AND to identify clients who have not renewed their Ryan White status or are no longer attending appointments within the recent three months
• Provide culturally competent support and guidance to help clients remain in care and to get the scope of supportive services they need
• Conduct targeted outreach, mailings, in-person visits, and/or phone calls as appropriate to facilitate re-entry into care
• Directly advocate for clients to seek and remain in primary medical care and in infectious disease care.
• Provide peer recovery coaching as appropriate and trained
• Assess, identify and develop a plan to address potential and real barriers to care.
• Provide newly diagnosed clients with referral for supportive and medical services with accompanying follow-up to ensure that appointments have been attended.
• Document all outreach and results.
• Provide transportation and attend infectious disease doctor and/or care coordination appointments with clients, on as needed and/or as desired basis.
• Continue to work with each client to progress them through care, providing health education, close monitoring, and continued motivation to keep them engaged in care long-term.
• Maintain knowledge of HIV/AIDS care, funding sources such as Ryan White Programs and services, risk reduction, mental health issues, case management and other related topics through self-study and training participation
• Assists obtaining current proof of income, medical records, proof of status, and/or proof of insurance for program compliance.
• Establish a working relationship with appropriate community resources in the service area such as those providing partner services, testing, social services, clinical and mental health care to understand and target populations.
Skills and Experience:
• Fluency in Spanish and cultural understanding with Latinx populations
• Strong verbal and written communication skills required
• Comfort and skill in public speaking
• Microsoft Office Suite ability required
• Ability to build and maintain relationships with people from diverse backgrounds
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
• High school diploma or graduation equivalency degree (GED); bachelor's degree preferred
• Knowledge involving HIV/AIDS treatment and care
• Ability to manage duties and responsibilities successfully with limited supervision
• Ability to work independently while also being part of a team
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time
• Ability to work specific evenings and weekends as needed
• Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
Please Note the Following
• If a candidate is offered and accepts this position, s/he will be required to agree to a background check. Employment will be contingent upon the findings.
• If a candidate is offered and accepts this position, s/he will be required to sign confidentiality and data security agreements. All employees are required to sign agency confidentiality statements, pass HIPAA training, and agree to all policies and procedures.
• The Damien Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.