Director of Community Engagement - Indianapolis Cultural Trail Inc.
- 18-Dec-2020 to 16-Jan-2021
- - Indianapolis Cultural Trail, Inc. (ICT)
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Competitive compensation package
- Full Time
The Indianapolis Cultural Trail: A Legacy of Gene and Marilyn Glick is an internationally recognized linear park and bike and pedestrian pathway that seamlessly connects cultural districts, neighborhoods and destinations while also serving as downtown hub for the city's greenway network. The Indianapolis Cultural Trail includes five acres of lush gardens, a vibrant art and culture program and is open and accessible 365 days a year. The Trail has become the way by which most people experience
Built on public right of way, the Cultural Trail is managed by Indianapolis Cultural Trail, Inc, a non-profit organization, that works to throughtfully maintain the Trail and provide access to art, beauty, nature and healthy living. The Cultural Trail works in close partnership with the City of Indianapolis with many of our programs including Pacers Bikeshare and through a placemaking partnership with many of the downtown public spaces connected by the Trail including the Downtown
Canal, Georgia Street and Lugar Plaza. In 2021 the Cultural Trail will break ground on its first expansion.
Indianapolis Cultural Trail Inc is a team of motivated and enthusiastic individuals that take great pride in what we do with and for the community. We have a flexible work environment and encourage big ideas and creative thinking. We work with volunteers and community partners to help carry out our mission and rely on generous contributions from donors to keep the Trail beautiful and accessible for everyone.
The director of community engagement will lead the development and execution of a comprehensive community engagement strategy which will further the Trail's mission to connect people and places through dynamic and beautiful experiences focusing on being an active and responsive civic connector with a particular focus on the Downtown Canal, Georgia St. and Lugar Plaza. The director of community engagement will enact a culture of community engagement and build and maintain relationships with a wide range of community stakeholders, including but not limited to residents, community based organizations and adjacent property owners and businesses. This new position will think creatively about and test and implement traditional and non-traditional engagement strategies that will include and encourage participation from a diverse audience. The position will report to the executive director and work closely with the director of development and marketing and work closely with Cultural Trail senior staff and their departments. The director of community engagement will also oversee a fellowship program which will be launching in 2021.
The director of community engagement is a full time, year-round exempt employee.
● Develop and lead the creation of a comprehensive community engagement strategy to raise awareness about the organization and to develop engagement and partnership pathways for community stakeholders, organizations and the general public that align with the organization's vision for accessible, dynamic and welcoming public spaces.
● Establish ongoing community feedback mechanisms to increase responsiveness to community stakeholder needs and to build trust and to generate input for organization and its programs and initiatives.
● Utilize traditional and non-traditional engagement methods
● Develop and maintain relationships with community stakeholders
● Work collaboratively to align engagement and communication strategies with organizational priorities and opportunities for engagement.
● Develop, implement and lead the creation of a community council made up of residents and stakeholders
● Lead the development of assessment tools and systems to track the impact of community engagement initiatives.
● Lead and manage an inaugural cohort of public space fellows (anticipated start date is spring 2021).
● Help plan and execute special programming initiatives
● Maintain an active registry of key cultural and social service organizations and their program offerings
● Support the development of volunteer and partnership opportunities for residents and other community stakeholders and organizations in coordination with other Cultural Trail departments
● Utilize diversity, equity and inclusion best practices
● Support special projects as necessary
● Act as a community liaison on behalf of the Indianapolis Cultural Trail
● 5-7 years of work experience in non-profit and/or public sector
● Experience with community engagement, community organizing and/or participatory design
● Experience applying a range of community engagement, facilitation and programming techniques
● Experience with data assessment tools and systems to track the impact of community engagement activities and assessing data
● Understanding of social media and other digital tools that support and enhance community engagement
● Experience with supervising and motivating staff
● Familiarity with downtown Indianapolis
● Excellent organizational skills, with a high level of attention to detail and the ability to support and manage multiple stakeholders and projects
● Outstanding written and oral communication skills
● Strong presentation skills
● Politically and culturally savvy
● Problem solve and work independently
● Self motivated, enthusiastic and community driven
● Creative thinker; conceive and implement new ideas
● Ability to work collaboratively, but know how when/how to step in and lead
● Flexible and adaptive in a fast paced and public environment
● Eager and entrepreneurial attitude
● Willingness to work evenings and weekends, as needed
● Sense of humor
Competitive compensation package
Healthcare benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance
Retirement plan with employer contribution
Paid time off
Free Pacers Bikeshare Membership
Free YMCA membership
Discounted Indy Cultural Trail merchandise
Click the APPLY button to submit resume and letter of interest to Rebecca Knoop.
Applications will be accepted through January 8, 2021 or until the position is filled.
Indianapolis Cultural Trail Inc is an equal opportunity employer.