General Job Employment Specialist - Exodus Refugee Immigration
- 11-Jan-2021 to 12-Feb-2021
- - Exodus Refugee Immigration Inc.
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Compensation starting at $17/hour
- Full Time
- competitive benefits package available
Exodus is seeking an Employment Specialist to connect employable clients (including refugees, asylees, victims of human trafficking) with jobs leading to self-sufficiency. The Employment Specialist educates clients on American workplace attitudes, practices, and expectations; assesses individual skill and employment history; maps out client employability plans; provides job placement services; and provides support to clients as they navigate the American workplace and job seeking process.
Exodus Refugee Immigration welcomes refugees and other immigrants of humanitarian concern to Indiana. We work to arrange housing, food, clothing, case management, English and cultural orientation, employment placement, and mental health services for individuals and families starting new lives in the Indianapolis area. As an independent, non-sectarian, 501(c)(3) non-profit agency, Exodus is part of a network that works in partnership with the Department of State's Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM); the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), and Church World Service's Immigration and Refugee Program (CWS/IRP) in the resettlement of refugees from all over the world.
- Secures job placements for employable Exodus clients.
- Maintains up-to-date information on client caseload, makes referrals, and connects to appropriate employment opportunities.
- Provides clients with general orientation regarding the customs, expectations, and attitudes of the American workplace.
- Educates clients regarding specific workplace issues such as hygiene, presentation, punctuality, time management, direct communication style, body language, and sexual harassment in the workplace.
- Ensures clients understand any health and safety concerns on the job, benefits offered, sick leave, and other employment policies.
- Assists clients with understanding cultural differences that may impact job performance in the United States.
- Provides assessment of clients' work history and assists in seeking appropriate employment accordingly.
- Maps out employability plans for clients.
- When necessary, determines further skill enhancement needs and participates in skill enhancement when possible, otherwise recommends appropriate course of action for further skill development through available avenues.
- Educates clients in filling out job applications and helps prepare resumes and cover letters when necessary.
- Helps clients develop interviewing skills through role playing.
- Arranges and attends job interviews with clients.
- When possible, offers translation/interpretation for the client while completing hiring paperwork and during their job training/orientation.
- Assists with transportation trainings as needed, as well as coordination of initial transportation to and from employment for clients.
- Secures interpreters to assist with non-English speaking clients throughout the job search process.
- Maintains regular communication with employers and assists with any challenges that arise.
- Provides ongoing monitoring of the performance and job-related skills of the client, identifying both strengths and barriers to maintaining employment.
- Works with the Employment Team to educate new employers in order to increase the hiring of refugees.
- Assist clients with applying for unemployment benefits if applicable.
- Prepares reports and records as required.
- Documents all services provided in client casenotes.
- Coordinates with other Exodus program staff in regards to client needs that arise throughout the employment seeking process and identifies appropriate referrals.
- Must have a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience, preferably in Human Services.
- Preferably have a minimum of two years of experience in a related field.
- Must be comfortable and able to communicate effectively with clients of diverse cultural and language backgrounds.
- Must be a self-starter with a high level of organizational skill, flexibility, and commitment to serving refugees and other immigrants of humanitarian concern.
- Must be able to function as part of a team.
- Must have PC proficiency, with competency in Microsoft Office applications.
Click the APPLY for applications instructions.
Applicants will be accepted until position is filled.