Volunteer Engagement Manager - Wheeler Mission (WM)
- 15-Feb-2021 to 16-Mar-2021
- - Wheeler Mission Ministries
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
The Volunteer Engagement Manager oversees volunteer involvement at Wheeler Mission's Center for Women & Children by: recruiting, scheduling, selecting, screening, building relationships, and communicating with volunteers, staff, and donors. They collaborate with staff about volunteer needs, volunteer opportunities, and assist in volunteer development in order to ensure volunteers are properly equipped and integrated by Center for Women & Children Staff into positions.
Wheeler Mission (WM) is committed to giving hope that changes lives through transformational relationship with Jesus Christ. Wheeler Mission considers every position one of ministry and a vital and valued part of our team. Therefore, it is essential that all employees of Wheeler Mission have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and subscribe to our Mission, Vision, and Core Values. Employees are encouraged and expected to share the Gospel as opportunities arise.
Essential Details and Qualifications
To perform the essential functions of this position successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
• Faith – has a sincere and ever-growing love of Jesus with a spiritual walk evident of bearing fruit. Must be able to sign and adhere to the WM Statement of Faith as well as Core Values and Code of Conduct.
• Personality – must love people, take initiative, and be outgoing, friendly, organized, thorough, as well as have critical thinking skills.
• Strengths – able to prioritize, multi-task, pay close attention to detail, recognize volunteer needs and solutions, and manage time wisely and effectively.
• Interpersonal Skills – must be able to manage, connect with, and lead large volumes of volunteers; thrives in both an independent and team-like atmosphere; maintains confidentiality; remains open to others' ideas, has strong conflict resolution skills, exhibits a willingness to try new things and contributes in meetings.
• Communication Skills – speaks and writes wisely, clearly, concisely, and kindly, comfortable with and effective at conducting meetings and presentations, writing engaging emails and other materials, leading and educating groups of volunteers, and interacting with other WM employees. Basic understanding of Microsoft Office Suite required and ability to learn new technologies. Must have strong phone call skills.
• Adaptability – adapts well to change, delays, or unexpected events; manages stress and competing demands effectively; able to prioritize work activities, use time efficiently and develop realistic action plans.
• Dependability – follows instructions, responds to leadership direction and coaching, solicits feedback to improve personal performance, consistently at work and on time, and willing to work overtime, weekends, and holidays, when required.
• Must possess a valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record acceptable to WM's insurance as well as a dependable vehicle.
• Recruits, selects, and schedules individual and group volunteers to fill all volunteer opportunities at the Center for Women & Children in a timely, engaging, and welcoming fashion.
• Manages High Impact volunteer program for the Center for Women & Children, including recruiting, selecting, equipping, developing, and leading individuals called to serve at Wheeler Mission.
• Regularly works alongside other Volunteer Ministry Team members to ensure volunteers are properly communicated with and placed into best-suited volunteer opportunities.
• Builds relationships with regular volunteers, both General and High Impact (hands-on, Christ-Centered/long-term volunteers that build relationships with guests) with the intention of retaining and maintaining a steadfast commitment to Wheeler Mission.
• Consistently greets volunteers, especially at their first service date, and orients them to the location, if needed.
• Works on transitioning episodic volunteers into regular volunteers and financial donors.
• Collaborates with other WM staff, including Directors and Volunteer Supervisors, to equip, lead, and develop High Impact volunteers through relationship-building, training, appreciation, communication, and connection.
• Maintains open lines of communication with all location Volunteer Supervisors to: determine volunteer needs and create position descriptions, integrate volunteers into sustainable and meaningful volunteer roles, update active/pending/inactive volunteers, resolve/prevent issues, and inform staff of scheduled non-program activities.
• Liaison for volunteer ministry and programming updates to the Director of Volunteer Services and Volunteer Ministry Team, with whom they meet regularly.
• Develops proficiency in and oversees volunteer schedules, communications, records, and reports using a Volunteer Management System, as well as MS Office Suite.
• Co-leads and facilitates Wheeler 101 (Volunteer Orientation + Information Session)
• Actively represents Wheeler Mission to prospective community groups through speaking engagements, tours, and interviews.
• Assists in the collection of donations and donation drives for the Center for Women & Children.
• Attends Development and other necessary staff meetings & trainings for the Center for Women & Children.
• Assists in organizing Volunteer Appreciation and leads volunteers in other ministry special events, such as Drumstick Dash, Strength In Our Streets, and more.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting but will have regular opportunities for tours, speaking engagements, off-site meetings, and involvement in special events.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing this job the employee is required to talk and hear. Since much time is spent on-site, it is typical to work near/around guests and residents. On occasion, there is outdoor work in a variety of weather conditions. The occasional need to set-up and facilitate work projects, give tours using the stairwell, lifting boxes, tables, chairs, and other items up to 20 pounds is also required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice at the discretion of the employer (WM).
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education, training, and/or experience equivalent to completion of a bachelor's degree with major coursework in communications, people and/or project management, or related field. Must have extensive experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook software.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Previous experience in development or volunteer management.
This position has no direct staff supervisory responsibilities but will oversee all volunteer activities at each location – including volunteers serving with other departments. This may include regularly connecting with site Volunteer Supervisors to ensure volunteers are being utilized, equipped, led, and developed.
EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a full-time, 40-hour per week position, generally with some flexibility working, 9AM to 5PM. Occasional evening or weekend overtime work is required as job duties demand. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule and some holidays and weekends.
Travel is primarily local and mainly during the business day and may include traveling to WM facilities in Bloomington, Indiana as well as special event locations as job duties demand.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION AND DRUG TESTING:
After a "conditional offer of employment" is made, the individual must pass a background investigation which includes a consumer credit investigative report.
Wheeler Mission has a mandatory drug testing policy for all new employees. The successful applicant must submit to and pass a drug and/or alcohol test. This drug and/or alcohol testing may occur any time after the applicant receives a conditional offer of employment. All employees must sign and adhere to WM Drugs and Alcohol policy and remain free from addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.