Director of Workforce Strategy - Hamilton County Tourism, Inc.
- 20-Feb-2021 to 12-Mar-2021
- - Hamilton County Tourism, Inc.
- Carmel, IN, USA
- Full Time
The Director of Workforce Strategy, Economic Development at Hamilton County Tourism (HCT) leads efforts on behalf of Hamilton County Economic Development Corporation (HCEDC), dba Invest! Hamilton County, to coordinate and deliver innovative solutions and services to attract and retain workforce talent for current and future needs. Those objectives focus on positioning Hamilton County as a great place to work, live and invest in, focusing on quality of life targeted marketing.
A key component of this position includes serving as administrative leader of the Hamilton County 21st Century Talent Region, one of 10 included in an initiative with the Indiana Department of Workforce Development. This includes working with students, educators, adult workers, businesses and community leaders to create a proactive effort to support talent attraction, development and connection.
This position shapes and evaluates marketing initiatives, executes ongoing promotions, collaborates county wide workforce, manages website content, explores revenue and funding opportunities, and offers business intelligence and service to partners. This position also serves as the face of "investment" in the broadest sense for Hamilton County's efforts in the region, state and nationally.
Note, this position is funded through a management contract between HCT and HCEDC. This position reports to Hamilton County Tourism President/CEO and is part of the HCT team, but has additional reporting requirements, along with the President/CEO of HCT, to the HCEDC Board of Directors.
- Work with the Hamilton County Tourism President/CEO, with additional input and support from the Hamilton County Tourism Vice President/CSO, to set strategic direction and create annual plans and budgets.
- Report to the Hamilton County Economic Development Corporation Board of Directors quarterly to provide updates, gain insights and for budget and annual work plan approval.
- Oversee the day-to-day marketing budget, balancing fiscal and productivity goals.
- Work with contractors (e.g. photographers, videographers, writers) to lead direction, theme or experience and message for each campaign.
- Consult regularly to learn about new products and develop new promotions and react to market trends and include that in the overall vision of the organization's messaging.
- Evaluate return on investment for campaigns and media choices and provide direction based on that ROI.
- Direct and execute paid marketing buys with contractors and through social media advertising platforms for positioning in other markets.
- Plan, oversee and execute all promotional activities that could include direct email, guerrilla marketing, exhibits and displays website/digital/mobile promotions, product endorsements, trade shows, special events, discounts, samples, gifts, coupons or contests.
- Provide overall direction and strategy on design, video and content.
- While this position does not include any direct reports, it could include a team of contract service providers and access to HCT support staff and will require management of those important relationships.
County Wide Collaboration (30%)
- Lead county wide workforce collaborative efforts that promote workforce attraction, retention, development and connection.
- Convene and communicate regularly with HR professionals on workforce attraction opportunities, barriers and challenges.
- Participate in business and commerce-related functions and activities for relationship building and educational opportunities.
- Participate in HCEDC Board project meetings as required by leadership.
- Create, write, develop and manage original content for HCEDC's web presence, Hamilton County Job Board, and Invest Hamilton County email newsletter, coordinating web projects and maintaining a consistent look and feel throughout all web properties. Work cross departmentally to keep content current.
- Integrate marketing and promotions programs to the website to keep it current, fresh, valuable and appealing to users.
- Incorporate new technologies where relevant. Work closely with the HCT marketing team to establish ways to evaluate the financial and performance aspects of new technologies such as budget, cost, user-friendly and return on investment.
- Work closely with the HCT marketing team to maintain standards, keep current on emerging technologies and incorporate best tools to optimize performance.
- Create a content calendar on stories that should be told to shape messaging, contract with those providers and put that content into play.
- Create content for blogs, newsletters, op-eds and other newsworthy pieces that tell the story of Hamilton County as a place for investment and high quality of life.
Branding & Video/Photography (10%)
- Work with the HCEDC Board to develop a proactive and community-focused brand extension plan of work, approved annually as part of the overall plan.
- Build the existing brand, incorporating and integrating Hamilton County's business development partners and communities into promotional activities through co-ops.
- Follow and promote style guidelines among partners to ensure brand integrity.
- Identify needed photography and video for all markets; work with content providers.
Additional Responsibilities (5%)
- Participate in HCT meetings to be a part of the team culture of the organization, and to utilize available talent for sharing and insights.
- Demonstrate a commitment to developing and embracing Hamilton County Tourism's core values of communication, collaboration, growth, intelligence and stewardship, which also will serve HCEDC's vision well.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, business management/administration or related field
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience, including direct project management
- Understanding of marketing/advertising/promotions concepts
- Previous experience in a supervisory role of contract support preferred
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Strategic thinking skills and ability to streamline processes
- Capacity to manage multiple projects and tasks
- Commitment to county wide and regional collaboration
- Strong attention to detail, with a commitment to quality and accuracy
- Ability to work independently and as the leader of a team
- Journalistic and storytelling writing skills
- Proficiency in current computer software systems, to include Microsoft Office and web content management systems
- Ability to lift at least 25 pounds
- Valid driver's license and ability to drive own car as well as the HCT vehicle
- Some overnight travel required for professional development
- Although this position is primarily 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday, some weekend or evening work may be required
ATTENTION: Be Prepared - To assist you and the search committee in discerning your match for the position, we suggest you prepare your responses to these questions prior to hitting "APPLY" to make your application. Applications will not be considered without question responses.
1.What makes you uniquely qualified to fill this role?
2.Talk about a project or program where you had to gain support from others outside your organization and then implement it. What worked well? What would you change next time?
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter, resume and responses to the questions by March 12, 2021.