Cooking & Nutrition Education VISTA 2021-2022 - Indy Hunger Network
- 27-Feb-2021 to 28-Mar-2021
- - Indy Hunger Network
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
Help promote nutritious food by facilitating and expanding our cooking education program.
Term of service: June 7, 2021 – June 6, 2022
As the Cooking & Nutrition Education VISTA, you will improve access to healthy foods for people using food assistance by building capacity for our Cooking Matters program. These are projects of Indy Hunger Network (IHN), a coalition of hunger relief agencies working to ensure that anyone who is hungry can access the nutritious food they need.
We are looking for individuals who are passionate about hunger relief, believe in the power of hands-on learning to change lives, possess exceptional attention to detail, and demonstrate compassion and empathy with people from all walks of life.
You will have the opportunity to grow as a professional, including working in a traditional office environment, and networking both within IHN and the greater hunger-relief community. The opportunity to witness lives changing while at the same time being able to document those changes quantitatively is a unique and particularly valuable aspect of this professional experience.
The position also offers:
- Camaraderie with 7 other VISTAs serving under the Indy Hunger Network umbrella
- Team engagement activities, including bi-weekly meetings to discuss projects, socialize, and hear from guest presenters
- Mentoring, one-on-one coaching, and professional development trainings
- Assistance preparing for life after VISTA (resume review, interview prep, etc.)
- Opportunities to work with leaders in the hunger relief space
- Opportunities to work independently and lead on projects
The position is housed at Gleaners Food Bank on the southwest side of Indianapolis and will involve some travel. Your colleagues will be 2 other VISTA + 5 IHN staff members. Indianapolis is easy to navigate, has a growing indie restaurant/craft beer/coffee scene, and lots of places to play and recreate!
The Cooking and Nutrition Education VISTA will:
- Build capacity for our cooking and nutrition classes by growing our volunteer program and expanding our reach to new sites and populations
- Recruit and train volunteers
- Recruit new host sites for both in-person and virtual classes
- Work as a team member to reach new audiences with cooking and nutrition education, with a special focus on parents of young children
- Assist in applying to become a satellite partner host site for other organizations throughout the state that want to host cooking and nutrition classes supported and funded through IHN
During your VISTA term, you will be one of 8 VISTA members serving under the umbrella of the Indy Hunger Network (IHN). IHN regards its VISTA members as a cohort moving through a transformational year-long experience. To help you maximize this experience, we employ a VISTA Coordinator to provide mentoring and professional development to the VISTA.
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.