Community Compass Coordinator VISTA 2021-2022 - Indy Hunger Network
- 27-Feb-2021 to 28-Mar-2021
- - Indy Hunger Network
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
Indy Hunger Network is using technology to connect people to food assistance. Help us improve and expand our new tools to reduce food insecurity!
Term of service: June 7, 2021 – June 6, 2022
IHN is a coalition of hunger relief agencies working to ensure that anyone who is hungry can access the nutritious food they need. Community Compass is a new smartphone app and SMS text service that connects people to available sources of free food in Indianapolis. In this role, you will help us expand this tool statewide, improve its efficacy, and spread the word about Community Compass. By the end of your service term, you will have achieved measurable growth and improvement for a technical approach to hunger relief, which will help tens of thousands of residents access the food they need!
Your service year will focus on expanding, improving, and promoting Community Compass. You will also have the opportunity to assist our Home Delivery Program, which meets immediate food needs in the community, with data management, volunteer recruitment, and connection to Community Compass. We are looking for someone who pays attention to detail and is comfortable working independently.
The position also offers:
- Camaraderie with 7 other VISTAs serving under the Indy Hunger Network umbrella
- Team engagement activities, including bi-weekly meetings to discuss projects, socialize, and hear from guest presenters
- Mentoring, one-on-one coaching, and professional development trainings
- Assistance preparing for life after VISTA (resume review, interview prep, etc.)
- Opportunities to work with leaders in the hunger relief space
- Opportunities to work independently and lead on projects
The position is housed at Gleaners Food Bank on the southwest side of Indianapolis and will involve some travel. Your colleagues will be 2 other VISTA + 5 IHN staff members. Indianapolis is easy to navigate, has a growing indie restaurant/craft beer/coffee scene, and lots of places to play and recreate!
The Community Compass Coordinator VISTA will:
- Develop and implement an outreach plan to promote Community Compass
- Gather and verify information on available food resources for the app
- Work with app developers to incorporate and test new features of Community Compass
- Assist with data management for the Home Delivery Program and connect the program to Community Compass
- Recruit and train volunteers for Home Delivery Program
During your VISTA term, you will be one of 8 VISTA members serving under the umbrella of the Indy Hunger Network (IHN). IHN regards its VISTA members as a cohort moving through a transformational year-long experience. To help you maximize this experience, we employ a VISTA Coordinator to provide mentoring and professional development to the VISTA.
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.