Food Assistance Programs Coordinator VISTA 2021-2022 - Indy Hunger Network
- 27-Feb-2021 to 28-Mar-2021
- - Indy Hunger Network
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
Indy Hunger Network uses innovative and collaborative projects to address food insecurity. Help us take 3 different hunger-related projects to the next level!
Term of service: June 7, 2021 – June 6, 2022
Indy Hunger Network (IHN) is a coalition of hunger relief agencies working to ensure that anyone who is hungry can get the food they need. In this role, you will coordinate and improve three exciting and growing initiatives. The first project is Food Drop, a food rescue initiative that makes it easier for truckers to donate rejected food loads, instead of dumping food. The second project is the Food Pantry Network, which improves the emergency hunger relief system by offering training, networking events, collaboration points, and grant opportunities to the 190 pantries in Indianapolis. The third project is SNAP & WIC Marketing, an information campaign about federal nutrition programs to dispel misconceptions and help people access assistance. By the end of your service term, you will have achieved measurable growth and improvement for a technical approach to hunger relief, which will help tens of thousands of residents access the food they need!
This position is an opportunity to be involved in 3 different approaches to hunger relief, and will provide excellent hands-on experience for anyone pursuing a career in nonprofit projects or food-related initiatives. We are looking for someone who is passionate about hunger, detail-oriented, and can work independently.
The position also offers:
- Camaraderie with 7 other VISTAs serving under the Indy Hunger Network umbrella
- Team engagement activities, including bi-weekly meetings to discuss projects, socialize, and hear from guest presenters
- Mentoring, one-on-one coaching, and professional development trainings
- Assistance preparing for life after VISTA (resume review, interview prep, etc.)
- Opportunities to work with leaders in the hunger relief space
- Opportunities to work independently and lead on projects
The position is housed at Gleaners Food Bank on the southwest side of Indianapolis and will involve some travel. Your colleagues will be 2 other VISTA + 5 IHN staff members. Indianapolis is easy to navigate, has a growing indie restaurant/craft beer/coffee scene, and lots of places to play and recreate!
This role will focus on Food Drop, the Food Pantry Network, and SNAP & WIC Marketing. The VISTA will:
- Implement a plan to promote Food Drop to truckers, food banks, and other partners
- Recruit and train volunteers to coordinate Food Drop loads
- Coordinate the 2021 Grant Program for Food Pantries
- Organize training and networking opportunities for food pantries
- Assist pantries in adopting healthy practices
- Organize awareness-raising campaigns for federal nutrition programs
- Collect data to evaluate effectiveness of SNAP & WIC campaigns
- Participate in grant writing for projects
During your VISTA term, you will be one of 8 VISTA members serving under the umbrella of the Indy Hunger Network (IHN). IHN regards its VISTA members as a cohort moving through a transformational year-long experience. To help you maximize this experience, we employ a VISTA Coordinator to provide mentoring and professional development to the VISTA.
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.