Match Specialist - Starfish Initiative
- 08-Mar-2021 to 07-Apr-2021
- - Starfish Initiative
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Commensurate with experience
- Full Time
- benefits package that includes paid vacation and select holidays, health benefits, life insurance, retirement plan, and mileage reimbursement.
The mission of the Starfish Initiative, a nonprofit IRS 501(c) (3) agency located in Indianapolis, IN is to inspire, encourage and prepare academically promising students with unearned adversity for college and career success.
General Statement of Duties
The Match Specialist is responsible for overseeing high school student/adult mentor matches, and ensuring that healthy, productive and satisfying relationships develop between the student and their adult mentor. The Match Specialist must be an independent problem-solver, as much of the work will focus on helping to solve relational and education-focused problems for students and their families. The position also requires strong communication skills, and knowledge of higher education is preferred. The Match Specialist will work with a dynamic program team that values new ideas, collaboration, and relentless effort – all focused on our mission. This position reports to the Director of Mentor Engagement.
Starfish Initiative is a college access and readiness program serving high school students with unearned adversity in Marion County, Indiana. We believe that mentoring is the key to improving the educational attainment and future of today's youth. To that end, we match every student in the Starfish program with a college-educated, volunteer adult mentor whose job is to walk alongside their student through their high school journey and into college.
Examples of Duties:
● Manage a team of 100+ scholar/mentor matches
● Contact matches quarterly for check-ins
● Participate in team matching sessions to help identify a best-fit mentor for each scholar in the program
● Assist with Scholar and Mentor recruitment efforts including: delivering presentations, interviewing candidates, and helping to lead orientation sessions for both groups
● Track and update match progress and supervision notes in Chronus
● Work with students regarding college access and career planning
● Work with other program staff (both paid and volunteer) to coordinate a best effort on behalf of each student
● Maintain ongoing communication with community partners that offer services to matches
● Provide support for special projects as needed
● Represent the agency in the community
● Provide input to monthly newsletter and other promotional pieces
● Support the Development team with positive match stories
● Other duties as assigned
● Bachelor's degree Required
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Must have an outgoing personality and be comfortable with public speaking
● Extremely strong organizational and problem-solving skills
● Creativity and flexibility in assuming responsibilities is essential
● Experience working in racially, ethnically, and socio-economically diverse urban communities preferred
● Experience working with teens
● Flexible work hours, some evenings and weekends required with offsetting paid time off for "extra" event time
● Strong technology skills
● Bilingual proficiency in English and any of the following languages (Spanish, Burmese, Hakha Chin)
● Experience with Chronus or other matching systems
● Academic or professional background in education, youth development, social services, or other related fields
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.
For more information, visit www.starfishinitiative.org.