Director of Community Engagement - Keep Indianapolis Beautiful (KIB)
- 08-Mar-2021 to 02-Apr-2021
- - Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc.
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Health, dental & vision insurance (company pays 80-90% of employee coverage), company-paid life and long-term disability insurance and 403b match of 3%; generous PTO and holiday schedule.
Keep Indianapolis Beautiful (KIB) is an environmental and community nonprofit with a mission to engage diverse communities to create vibrant public places, helping people and nature thrive. We aim to bring people to the table to achieve our vision of an Indianapolis that is loved, cared for, and ecologically rich. Our work is successful because of so many volunteers who help us plant trees and native landscapes, organize litter cleanups, turn vacant lots into pocket parks, restore habitat, advance educational efforts, and employ youth.
KIB helps people and nature thrive most effectively when we reflect the diversity of perspectives, voices, and abilities found throughout our city. The principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are essential to our work'from supporting biodiversity in nature to engaging communities. KIB is an equal opportunity employer that encourages applicants'including persons of color; people who are LGBTQ; veterans; people who are multilingual or multicultural; and individuals of various ages and abilities'to help us create a team with a broad range of backgrounds and thinking.
As Director of Community Engagement you will provide leadership and vision for KIB's engagement team to successfully respond to the needs and goals of individuals and neighborhood groups. You will work closely with all KIB Departments and staff to deepen community relationships, strengthen ongoing multi-year neighborhood connections, and ensure broad neighborhood involvement toward an end of completing projects represented and reflected by the community. You will directly supervise and mentor a team of two toward engagement goals.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
- Organizational leadership
- Lead the community engagement effort for KIB in all facets of the organization's work through internal programming and external relationships.
- Provide an interactive structure for community engagement with each KIB Department and program to ensure team development, completion of strategic and programmatic outcomes and reflection of neighborhood goals.
- Management and Mentorship
- Supervise and provide guidance to the Great Indy Cleanup & Adopt-A-Block Programs Manager and the Neighborhood Engagement Program Coordinator.
- Develop and manage the budget for the Community Engagement Department.
- Goal setting and visioning
- Work with the VP of Program Strategy to refine and build sustainability in KIB's long-term engagement strategy, informed by KIB's mapping data, input from KIB volunteers and feedback from neighborhood residents and stakeholders.
- With input from the engagement team, create and implement annual goals aligned with the KIB's Strategic Plan and Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Charter.
- Closely coordinate and support efforts to recruit volunteers and further KIB's education interests that will contribute to an overall goal of a more engaged citizenry.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong listening and communication skills
- Understand that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are integral parts of effectively executing our work. This position will require ease and familiarity with connecting and relating to people of different backgrounds.
- Experience developing and managing a team and budgets.
- Valid driver's license and is comfortable driving a truck and trailer, or willing to learn
- GIS skills a plus
- Proficiency in Spanish language is preferred
Characteristics of a Strong Candidate:
- Highly organized, self-motivated and able to develop and implement strategic goals
- Ability to multi-task and meet strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- A natural ease in new situations, and able to recall names and personal facts
- Flexibility in both work schedule and project implementation
- Able to positively represent KIB in the community
Additional Attributes of Strong Candidates:
Exhibit KIB's Cultural Values of Teamwork, Responsibility, Excellence, Openness, Balance, and Joy.
Education and/or equivalent experience:
5 years of community engagement experience and Bachelor's degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Click the APPLY button to apply online by April 2.