Education Support Coordinator - School Based -- School on Wheels
- 22-Mar-2021 to 21-Apr-2021
- - School on Wheels
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Part Time
Part-Time (30-32 hours/week)
School on Wheels' mission is to provide tutoring and educational advocacy for school-aged children impacted by homelessness. The Education Support Coordinator provides daily management of the tutoring program at a specific school by working directly with students, tutors, and school staff. He or she also works as an advocate for education, providing academic support for families experiencing homelessness in alignment with McKinney-Vento Legislation.
· Oversee the School on Wheels programming in assigned school site. This includes intake meetings, determination of programming (tutoring, classroom assistance, curriculum-based programming, etc.), volunteer tutor management, and working with families to achieve educational goals
· Serve as the primary point of contact for School on Wheels volunteer tutors engaged at school site. This includes providing on-site tutor orientation, communicating changes in schedules, and promoting School on Wheels events and initiatives
· Establish and maintain communication with parents, teachers, and partner staff in support of academic achievement. This includes new student enrollment, changes in programming schedule, changes in policies/procedures, and other important information
· Monitor the effectiveness of programming (including distribution of surveys when required) and make adaptations when necessary to meet individual student's needs or the needs of the school site
· Ensure programming runs smoothly and follows the established School on Wheels policies, rules and procedures. This includes providing daily support to volunteer tutors, keeping tutoring area organized and conducive to successful tutoring, and maintaining adequate tutor:student ratios
· Provide daily support to volunteer tutors by arriving early to sites to communicate with and answer questions of our tutors, by regularly updating the Personal Learning Plan for each student, by providing support for homework when needed, and by encouraging the use of provided supplemental activities that are appropriate for each student during tutoring
· Ensure all data (intake forms, volunteer tutor and student attendance, parent meetings, positive messages, etc.) is accurately entered into the appropriate database on a weekly basis
· Complete a detailed weekly report
· Attend required meetings and events as scheduled (for School on Wheels and assigned school site)
· Attend required meetings and events as scheduled
· Represent School on Wheels in a professional manner at all times, providing courteous service to both internal and external constituents, and presenting a positive image of School on Wheels.
· Establish and promote positive communication among all team members of School on Wheels to increase collaboration and reduce inefficiencies
· Abide by School on Wheels policies and procedures
· Complete other duties as assigned
· Must be available to work 32 hours per week
· Must be available for training, meetings, and events presented on the calendar at the beginning of the year
· Daytime and/or after-school availability required during school site hours
Evaluation of Performance
Performance will be evaluated based on meeting the requirements of the job description; meeting performance metrics and other quality indicators established for this position; working effectively in a team environment; and demonstrating the values of School on Wheels.
Experience, education, degrees, and license
· Bachelor Degree or equivalent experience in education, human services, or social work
· Experience working with K-12 students preferred
· Experience working with low-income or homeless families preferred
· Participation in continuing educations programs as requested
Together WE Can Break the Cycle
School on Wheels values a diverse and inclusive culture that represents the students, families, and community that we serve. We are committed to providing an environment which encourages, supports, empowers and celebrates the diverse voices of our students, families, volunteers and staff. By embracing different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds we will continue to cultivate future leaders through education and break the cycle of homelessness in our community.
Inclusion and Collaboration
We believe to break the cycle of homelessness through education, we must create an environment where all people, from all walks of life, are valued and included. When recruiting staff, volunteers, and community partners we welcome and encourage the unique perspectives, life experiences, innovation, and individual differences that shape us through our education, opinions, cultures, age, race, ethnicity, languages, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, disability, religion, veteran status, and beliefs. By embracing and valuing the unique qualities of all people, School on Wheels delivers programs and builds networks that contribute to ending homelessness through education.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.