Director of Communications - Christ Church Cathedral
- 08-Apr-2021 to 07-May-2021
- - Christ Church Cathedral
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Full benefits package
Founded in 1837, Christ Church Cathedral was the first building erected on Monument Circle. Some 184 years later, our congregation continues to be a collaborator and leader in, with, and for our city, with a mission to widen the circle of God's embrace with our hearts, our hands, and our voices.
The Director of Communications helps us tell our church's story, celebrating the work God is doing among us, with us, and through us. Working with our leadership team, the Director of Communications will be an integral participant in our congregation's upcoming season of strategic planning and visioning through the remainder of 2021. The Director of Communications will then help us develop and implement a practical communications plan that maximizes our connectivity, visibility, and presence, both inside our church and in the larger community.
The Director of Communications manages and leads the entire day-to-day communications process with a part-time assistant and an assortment of external vendors. The three major components to this position include the strategic development of the communications programming, the technical ability to carry out the communications strategies, and community relations. The job includes everything from overseeing creative material development to marketing placement to video production to social media and website content management. A talented generalist who is able to manage many simultaneous projects well and who knows when to outsource will thrive in this position. Candidates who are familiar with the Indianapolis marketplace and culture are strongly desired and will be asked to explain their knowledge and share their expertise during the interview process.
The ideal candidate will have experience and knowledge in completing the following job responsibilities:
- Develops the strategies for organizational communication, ensuring that all events, brochures, advertisements, announcements, etc. communicate the vision and mission of the organization.
- Works with the leadership team to develop and maintain the church's style guide and brand identity. Standardizes the church's messaging across all platforms and coaches staff members and volunteers in this area.
- Oversees the production of all communications including, but not limited to: publications, websites, videos, directories, signage, brochures, reports, giving requests, social media posts, stationery, and all other collateral materials, including the proofing and production of all materials, to ensure that they are consistent with the branding identity and mission of the church.
- Works with the internal management team and external consultants, when necessary, to implement and manage on a day-to-day basis a master communications plan that promotes the church's larger vision and mission.
- Manages, hires, and develops all external vendors used for communications, e.g., graphic artists, website developers, videographers, editors, etc. Maintains external professional vendor relationships to assure the ongoing availability of specialized expertise, gifted freelancers, and reputable studios/producers when their services are required.
- Supervises and manages the vendor in charge of online activities to ensure brand and content consistency. Consistently seeks to connect online experience with offline in-person connections.
- Writes, edits, and oversees the design, layout and production of seasonal mailers, the weekly bulletin, and weekly e-news, emphasizing easy points of connection where our members, newcomers, and community members may engage with us in ministry.
- Develops and maintains connections to local media, serving as the primary media contact for the church and all related events.
- Designs and develops all advertisements for the church, including creation, placement and production.
- Regularly maintains the church's website and social media accounts, keeping them fresh, inviting, focused on our mission, and easy to access.
- Designs and oversees the placement of the signage in the building and on the grounds, reflecting events and seasons taking place as well as the church's mission and values.
- Tracks our progress by regularly monitoring and reporting communications metrics, studying the audiences that the church is trying to reach, and uses that knowledge to recommend and implement campaigns and outreach strategies.
- Oversees and manages the communications budget.
- Is regularly present at least two Sundays a month, and as needed, to connect with members, to see our ministry in action, and to research current and future topics for publicity.
- Trains, equips and empowers leaders on how to communicate their ministry's vision and programming.
- Visits with all ministries on a regular basis, researching current and future topics for publicity, helping these ministries to communicate within the larger context of the whole community and to the general public.
- Works with staff and volunteer leaders to create campaigns that attract, invite, and welcome newcomers and nearby residents to our events.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's Degree (B.A. /B.S.) in business, communications, or other related field is desired; and five plus years' related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Previous experience working in a nonprofit organization or business environment in a communications leadership position is required. In addition, the ideal candidate will have skills and abilities in the following areas
- Be well-organized, able to manage multiple deadlines, priorities and connections. Be able to adapt and conform to shifting priorities and demands and execute accordingly with little supervision.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Google Office suite, Adobe suite, WordPress, and PhotoShop is required. Working knowledge of Realm/ACS and Monday or other online project management programs is a plus.
- An understanding of how to implement and maintain a master communications plan is required.
- A working knowledge of websites and the ability to edit and make updates in WordPress is required.
- A working knowledge of social media and the ability to implement, maintain, and monitor all social media sites through dashboards (e.g. Restream, Later, Hootsuite) is required.
- A demonstrated ability to proof and manage the production of publications, videos, directories, brochures, reports, giving requests, stationery, and all other collateral materials and ensures that they are consistent with the branding identity of the organization is required.
- A demonstrated ability to pay close attention to detail with commitment to follow-though is required.
- A demonstrated ability to work in a leadership role within a team is required.
- The ability to speak, read and write fluently in English is required. Bilingual ability in Spanish is a strong plus. If not, the ability to collaboratively work with bilingual staff members and translation services/interpreters is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills, cooperative and collegial disposition are required.
- Ability to operate a printer, copy machine, scanner and other office equipment is required.
The job requires some evening and weekend work, domestic travel and a valid driver's license. The church offers shared workspaces and meeting spaces for confidential matters may be prearranged.
As a permanent full-time employee, the Director of Communications will be eligible for all benefits to include: paid time off, medical, dental, vision, income replacement (short-term disability), and long-term disability insurance. Candidate may participate in the church's 403(b) retirement savings plan with a contributing match by the church. The job is located in downtown Indianapolis and paid parking is part of the benefits package.
Click the APPLY button to submit a cover letter to include salary requirements and resume. Please no phone calls. Email inquiries only.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer (EEOE)