Housing Navigator/Case Manager (Contract Position) - Merchants Affordable Housing Corp
- 24-Apr-2021 to 14-May-2021
- - Merchants Affordable Housing Corp
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- pay range is $50,000 - $55,000 based on salary history and candidate experience
- contract position does not include benefits
Merchants Affordable Housing Corp. (MAHC) is a 501 c(3) with the mission of creating stable, vibrant and healthy communities by developing or acquiring affordable rental housing properties. It is our goal to use our resources and expertise to build or acquire and upgrade multifamily rental properties so that residents who lack the economic resources to access quality rental housing opportunities have a clean, safe environment in which to live.
To support this mission, MAHC has created the HomeNow Indy Initiative in partnership with the City of Indianapolis, the Coalition for Homelessness Intervention and Prevention (CHIP), and the Indianapolis Continuum of Care to build a rehousing infrastructure to scale community-wide efforts to house people experiencing homelessness.
The Housing Navigator/Case Manager will work directly with an assigned caseload of persons referred from the Coordinated Entry System to assess housing strengths and barriers, coordinate linkages to supportive services, and obtain and maintain housing. Services will be provided utilizing a Strengths-Based, Harm Reduction approach within a Housing First model. This position will engage in assertive engagement to build upon client strengths and empower individuals to participate and contribute fully as members of the community.
This list is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
- Engage a diverse clientele experiencing homelessness to provide case management interventions, facilitate referrals to needed resources, promote housing stability, and advocate for tenancy supports.
- Assist clients in the collection of eligibility documentation, complete triage applications to assess housing barriers, and develop and maintain housing stability plans.
- Become knowledgeable of community resources and maintain a strong referral network to ensure clients have access to services specific to client needs and goals.
- Practice assertive engagement with caseload throughout their program participation.
- Conduct regular home visits and provide ongoing assessments, matching changing needs with appropriate services and referrals.
- Provide crisis intervention/prevention and follow-up services, as needed.
- Maintain and monitor Housing Stability Plans emphasizing increased income strategies.
- Work with the Housing Acquisition Team to identify housing options in Padmission.
- Facilitate move-ins including transportation, furniture, and other needs.
- Participate in regular supervision and case staffing to support HomeNow Indy outcomes.
- Provide accurate, complete, and timely data to support program needs. Maintain client confidentiality, client records, activity logs and tracking utilizing HMIS.
- Set appropriate boundaries with clients throughout the program.
- Complete all necessary trainings concerning best practices in homelessness services.
- Maintain consistent communication between team members and external partners.
- Positively represent the organization in external meetings and public events.
• Demonstrate or develop knowledge of and strong belief in the Housing First philosophy and strategies for ending homelessness, including client choice, harm reduction, and trauma informed care.
• Commit to participate in community efforts to end homelessness through a system level approach.
• Able to adapt and be flexible to workflows, systems, and processes.
• Able to assess and manage crisis situations in support of clients and staff.
• Able to identify and resolve conflict in a professional manner.
• Able to identify needs of individuals and develop solutions to meet those needs.
• Commitment to understanding how race, ethnicity, gender identity, socioeconomic status, religion, and culture affect the unhoused population in their navigation of various systems.
• Creative thinker with an adaptive personality, biased towards action and goal driven.
• The ability to work collaboratively and contribute within a fast paced, high energy, solutions focused and goal-oriented team, including other organization and/or project personnel, service providers and industry professionals.
• Computer literacy sufficient to operate spreadsheets, word processing applications, databases, virtual meeting applications, and project management applications.
• Excellent communication skills, particularly listening, mediation, and writing skills.
• High School Diploma or equivalent required with 1 year of experience working in direct client care.
• Bachelor's degree in social work, behavioral science, or related field preferred; equivalent experience may be considered.
• Previous experience with vulnerable populations and knowledge of community resources preferred.
• The principal duties are conducted remotely, in the field, and community setting where clients reside.
• The expected work schedule is Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with possibility of evening hours on rare occasion.
• Must have a Valid driver's license, insurance, and access to reliable transportation to travel for meetings throughout the community. Merchants Affordable Housing Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for contractual positions without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
This contract position is grant-funded with a term ending on 09/30/2022. The pay range is $50,000 - $55,000 based on salary history and candidate experience. This contract position does not include benefits.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume 5:00 EST on Friday 5/14.