Family Support Specialist (new position) - Damien Center
- 30-Apr-2021 to 29-May-2021
- - Damien Center
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
Client Engagement Team
Damien Center empowers communities and persons affected by HIV/AIDS in the state of Indiana by being a leading resource, provider, and advocate for comprehensive HIV/AIDS care, prevention, education, and related services. Damien Center, Damien Cares and Damien Pharmacy provide client-centered social services focused on care coordination, clinical and pharmacy services, mental health, housing, and nutrition to the Indianapolis community.
The Family Support Specialist assists in developing and maintaining youth and family services provided to Damien Center clients and families. This position oversees life skill classes, parenting classes, and works closely with the Client and Family Enrichment Manager to develop new opportunities for clients and families. The Family Support Specialist will demonstrate a strong attention to detail with the ability to work with Client and Family Enrichment Manager, staff, and clients to accomplish the strategic goals of the Damien Center.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills.
- Oversee the Building a Future Program: communicate with volunteers and staff leading classes, step in to teach curriculum for classes as needed, and work with the Client and Family Engagement Manager to develop new classes that support client needs.
- Research and develop parenting classes (based on existing curriculum or Damien centered curriculum) that can be supplemental to the Pregnant and Parenting Support group and/or build connections with outside organizations to refer clients to as needed.
- Oversee the Client Holiday Assistance Program as the main point of contact with outside organizations such as Geist Christian Church, Caring Crusaders, St. Jude, and private donations. Collect wish lists, applications, and organize delivery schedules. Work with Volunteer Manager to set up gift wrapping opportunities.
- Maintain wish lists for backpack drive as well as drives for the pregnant and parenting support group.
- Revisit Damien Center's Kids Club and redevelop the Kids Club to better serve clients with children.
- Work with the Client and Family Engagement Manager as well as the Youth Housing Team Lead to develop further programing for youth and children.
- The candidate must be well versed in curriculum development and have the ability to teach and lead life skill sessions.
- Performs special assignments and other work, on an as-needed basis.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent required. Experience in nonprofit, early childhood learning and development, and family services and support preferred. Experience in curriculum development and life skills instruction preferred.
*Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Possess superior organizational and administrative skills. Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities. Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Ability to work independently and achieve high standards of productivity, achieving deadlines and with superior product results. Strong calendaring, organizational, and document management skills required. Proactive approach to solving problems and communicating to leadership. Knowledge of office management systems, procedures, and office equipment required. Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, and flexibility and adaptability. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in their area of responsibility.
The physical demands described here are general representations of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to touch and handle objects. The employee frequently stands or walks.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office setting, with sustained use of a computer.
- The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate.
- Maintains personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
Damien Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.