President – St Joseph Institute for the Deaf (based in Indianapolis)
- 04-May-2021 to 11-Jun-2021
- - St. Joseph Institute/Charitable Advisors
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- comprehensive benefits package
This is a Charitable Advisors supported search. Potential candidates are invited to contact us with questions at the addresses below. Candidates bringing diverse backgrounds and experiences are invited to apply. This is an organizational leadership and outreach role, not a deaf education role, so experience specific to this field is not a requirement but a heart for education and children will be important. The search committee is meeting the week of June 7 to review candidates.
SJID is seeking an outward facing President to lead all aspects of SJID, in collaboration with our educational leaders. The President will focus on fundraising, organizational growth, and financial administration.
In 1837, the Sisters of St Joseph opened the first school for the deaf west of the Mississippi in Carondelet, MO and devotedly served 4 children with hearing loss. Today, St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf has a $3.5 mil budget with over 40 staff, including Executive Directors that lead each school, skilled LSLS certified therapists and licensed audiologists with locations in St Louis and Indianapolis and provides iHear tele-therapy worldwide. SJID is committed to listening and spoken language education, spiritual and emotional growth, and personal development of children who are deaf or hard of hearing, without discrimination, reflective of the values and early traditions of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet.
We are looking for a strategic leader to bring a fresh perspective and business planning skills to align our teams and take our organization to the next level. The President does not need to be Catholic but must embrace the mission and uphold the Catholic identity of the organization.
Why is this a great opportunity?
- Top leadership role focused on growing a thriving organization
- Operations in St Louis and Indianapolis with desire to grow and expand service reach
- Build upon our funding base from individual donors, corporations, foundations, and government
- Partner with capable Executive Directors who led educational efforts at school sites in St Louis and Indianapolis
As President, he/she will advance local, regional, and national fund development efforts and community engagement in support and advancement of the SJID's mission and fundraising strategic plan. Responsibilities will include overseeing the annual, major, and planned gift cultivation and solicitation, corporate and foundation support, growing fee-for-service opportunities and serving as the principal liaison between community and industry leaders. This individual shall ensure that supporting functions including but not limited to grant writing, gift processing, marketing, public relations and donor programs are executed effectively.
- Must have a bachelor's degree, masters preferred, in a relevant field
- Must have spiritual integrity and be willing to support the mission, values, and traditions of SJID
- Humble, self-aware of own strengths and weaknesses and eager to learn about deaf education
- Experience and a successful track record in fundraising or growth in sales. Familiarity and established relationships with St Louis/MO and/or Indianapolis/IN funding sources is desirable.
- Experience with human service and nonprofit organizations would be particularly beneficial.
- Five years of supervision experience and human resources. Hiring, developing, coaching staff.
- Experience with financial oversight and budget responsibility is mandatory.
- Ability to assemble financial feasibility and growth plans
- Familiarity managing multi-site operations is beneficial
- Must have a proven ability to work with a high level of independence, prioritize assignments and organizational needs to meet deadlines.
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with listening and spoken language education is attractive.
- Ability to work effectively and respectfully with a variety of constituencies representing diverse cultural, racial, ethnic, educational, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Overnight travel between St. Louis and Indianapolis, and some nationally, is required and will range from 10%-15% of the annual work schedule.
ATTENTION: Be Prepared - To assist you and the search committee in discerning your match for the position, we suggest you prepare your responses to these questions prior to hitting "APPLY" to make your application. Applications will not be considered without question responses.
- What excites you about supporting the mission of SJID?
- Briefly share your experience and success in developing a strong fundraising culture in your organization and building relationships with individuals, foundations, corporations, and government funding sources.
- This position oversees two locations, 40 staff, and administrative operations - finance, HR, IT, etc. Briefly share how your leadership and management experience will apply to this situation.
- Share an example of a project or service offering where you assisted in evaluating the financial and market feasibility. What was your role?
- Tell us about your experience working with a nonprofit board of directors to help them add meaningful value to the organization.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.
Interested candidates are invited to contact Charitable Advisors with questions. Kathleen Poland, Nonprofit Executive Recruiter at Kathleen@CharitableAdvisors.com or Bryan Orander, President at Bryan@CharitableAdvisors.com