College Program Manager - Indiana Latino Institute
- 17-May-2021 to 16-Jun-2021
- - Indiana Latino Institute, Inc. (ILI)
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- competitive salary
- Full Time
- competitive benefits package
Pathways to Careers Initiative
ILI's mission is to improve health and advance education for the Indiana Latino community through statewide advocacy, research, and culturally responsive programs.
Our vision is to be the source of authority and catalyst for change in all aspects of Health and Education that affect the Indiana Latino Community.
Recognizing socio-economic disparities between the Latino and other communities in Marion County, ILI and its three partner postsecondary institutions are launching a five-year initiative' Pathways to Careers Initiative' that will reduce poverty by significantly increasing postsecondary education attainment and strengthening career pathways and placement in good jobs for Latino students. Reporting to ILI's President & CEO, and collaboratively working with other ILI staff members and external partners, the College Program Manager will be the day-to-day driver of the Pathways to Careers Initiative.
The ideal candidate for the College Program Manager will possess the following qualifications:
- A bachelor's degree or higher, preferably in a relevant field.
- Passion for and demonstrated interest in increasing attainment of postsecondary credentials by Latino students,
- Background assisting students with college enrollment, either as a high school counselor, college admissions officer, college financial aid staff, or college enrollment advocate, working with students and their parents planning for college and completing admission applications, FAFSA, public and private scholarship applications, and other relevant tasks,
- Background supporting college students, such as in student affairs, advising, and academic support offices,
- Background in job training and counseling, or internship placement and supervision,
- Involvement with community and supporting organizations, particularly with Latino serving organizations in Central Indiana,
- Experience or training in project management, especially overseeing complex components,
- Self-starter and independent worker, easily grasping complex tasks, with confidence to ask for assistance when needed,
- Team player, collaborating with colleagues across departments,
- Competent communication skills for writing and public speaking,
- Available to work evenings, early mornings, and weekend when events are scheduled,
- Travel to schools and other sites throughout central Indiana for meetings and events,
- Able to carry boxes and equipment, not more than 40 pounds
Requisite Candidate Traits
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to work with a disparate set of individuals, both internally and externally while representing the organization
- Strong public speaking and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Works well independently and/or in a group
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Ability to multi-task; prioritize competing projects and assignments
- Interested in eliminating education disparities in the Indiana Latino Community
- High-energy individual who takes initiative with a positive outlook and can manage change
- Demonstrates the ability to take the initiative on developing creative and innovative methods for outreach.
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specific duties and essential skills for this position include:
The College Program Manager, Pathways to Careers Initiative, will ensure the proposed work plan is carried out: improving college-access programming at partner high schools, colleges, and ILI current programming, resulting in more Latino students enrolling in postsecondary institutions; improving Latino-student access to college-support services, resulting in higher retention and completion rates; and strengthening career exploration and internship opportunities for Latino college students, leading to good jobs.
ILI will award sub-grants to three postsecondary institutions to enhance the support and career exploration services for Latino students. Twelve (12) college students per year will be selected and receive stipends to advance the work conducted by ILI and the three colleges. Specifically, the College Program Manager is expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Coordinate college access activities between ILI, three partner colleges, and 12-15 high schools, supplementing college-admission and financial aid information for Latino high school students and their parents,
- Support the planning and execution of the annual ILI Education Summit and other programming, providing college and career information to 1,500 students and their families annually,
- Recruit, prepare work-study assignments (at ILI and at partner colleges), and manage 12 Latino students accepted annually as Pathways to Career (P2C) Scholars,
- Monitor the colleges' progress supporting Latino students on tasks outlined in the subgrant contracts, including such tasks as:
- Supplement admissions outreach to prospective Latino students, such as high school visits, targeted marketing strategies using social media, and on-campus events
- Facilitate Latino access to academic support services
- Establish and bolster Latino professional associations in the three campuses,
- Strengthen career support services at the colleges including peer-to-peer interaction
- Conduct other tasks that advance the initiative's goals
- Organize for ILI a variety of career exploratory events and job seeking workshops, and help identify internship and volunteer activities for Latino students,
- Compile data and document processes to evaluate the efficacy of the initiative, including collecting information from partners,
- Assist in analyzing data and other information and in making recommendations for improvement,
- Support ILI's communication efforts, such as speaking to media outlets, drafting social media posts, and writing human interest stories,
- Prepare reports and materials for ILI's senior staff, the ILI board, and the initiative's advisory committee,
- Supervise staff assigned to the initiative's tasks, including the P2C Scholars assigned to ILI and college tasks, and
- Complete other tasks that advance the initiative's goal and ILI's mission.
Click the APPLY button to submit a cover letter and resume to Marlene Dotson.