HIV/STD Tester and Counselor - Damien Center
- 24-May-2021 to 23-Jun-2021
- - Damien Center
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Complete Benefits Package Available
Damien Center empowers communities and persons affected by HIV/AIDS in the state of Indiana by being a leading resource, provider, and advocate for comprehensive HIV/AIDS care, prevention, education, and related services. Damien Center, Damien Cares and Damien Pharmacy provide client-centered social services focused on care coordination, clinical and pharmacy services, mental health, housing, and nutrition to the Indianapolis community.
The HIV/STD Tester and Counselor provides pre and post-test counseling, conducts HIV/STD testing, and collects and documents the appropriate data on clients seeking testing services. This position makes appropriate referrals to the Damien Cares clinic and the PrEP team. This position conducts outreach, education and offsite testing to targeted populations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills.
- Provide HIV, STD, and hepatitis C testing.
- Conduct pre-test counseling to help individuals identify what their risk factors are for contracting HIV, STDs, and hepatitis C.
- Conduct post-test counseling to help individuals identify and implement risk reduction strategies that meet their needs.
- Participate in outreach strategies for testing that engage the highest risk populations for HIV.
- Participate in evaluative and quality assurance activities and maintains professional accountability to the agency, funders, and clients served.
- Provide direct crisis intervention services when appropriate.
- Document and maintain client records, including entering information into appropriate data systems, tracking prevention plans, and writing progress notes.
- Prepares reports as requested.
- Directly collaborate and coordinate with all prevention programming to assure individuals who test negative but are at high risk receive referrals to the PrEP program.
- Provide resources, consultation, and training on HIV/STI prevention as needed.
- Participate in health fairs, community events and agency speaking events in order to provide education and knowledge about HIV/AIDS/STI and services of Damien Center.
- Available to work non-traditional hours for testing and outreach as needed.
- Performs special assignments and other work, on an as-needed basis.
Education and/or Experience
Experience with HIV testing and/or community outreach is required. Candidate must have experience working with vulnerable populations.
Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Possess superior organizational and administrative skills. Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities. Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Ability to work independently and achieve high standards of productivity, achieving deadlines and with superior product results. Strong calendaring, organizational, and document management skills required. Proactive approach to solving problems and communicating to leadership. Knowledge of office management systems, procedures, and office equipment required. Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, and flexibility and adaptability. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in their area of responsibility.
The physical demands described here are general representations of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to touch and handle objects. The employee frequently stands or walks.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office setting, with sustained use of a computer.
- The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate.
- Maintains personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.