Development Director - Lotus Education & Arts Foundation
- 24-May-2021 to 04-Jun-2021
- - Lotus Education & Arts Foundation
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- $40,000 - $45,000, commensurate with experience.
- Full Time
- ▪ Benefits include health insurance, paid holidays, and paid vacation
Distribution of hours varies with the Lotus event calendar. Some weekends and evenings required,especially around events.
The Lotus Development Director reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for creating, implementing, and administering a successful development program to support the Lotus Education andArts Foundation. Areas of leadership responsibility include development strategy, annual and special campaigns, major gifts, sponsorships, benefit events and other event support, grants management, Board fundraising efforts, and general stakeholder cultivation/ solicitation. The Lotus Development Director worksclosely with the Lotus staff and Board and also assists with supervision of graduate assistants and studentinterns.
Duties of the Lotus Development Director include:
Pla•nninIng caonndsSutlrtaatteiogny with the Executive Director, identify annual financial targets and development calendar for Lotus development activities, including annual campaigns, special campaigns, major gifts,planned giving, and endowment giving. Develop a clear outline and timetable for Board engagement in those activities.
- Work closely with the Board Development Committee, in collaboration with that committee'sChair, to maximize Board engagement and effectiveness in regards to Lotus fundraising goals.Directly liaise with and facilitate Board fundraising efforts, as needed.
- Always seek new opportunities to advance the organization. Conduct ongoing research onprospective donors, sponsors, and grant opportunities. Maintain clear records of research, actionitems, conversations, and deadlines and report regularly to Executive Director
Solicitation, Cultivation, and Stewardship
- Develop and implement all Lotus solicitation efforts, and undertake direct solicitation of donors and sponsors on behalf of Lotus. Solicitation strategies include growth of annual fund andmonthly donors, event and performance space sponsorships, online fundraising, capital andendowment campaign initiatives, and planned giving.
- Incorporate cultural competency and flexibility in serving the needs of diversestakeholders. Assist in identifying donors interested in Board service.
- Meet regularly with key donors, sponsors, and funders to enhance engagement and relationships.Initiate and/or participate in stakeholder/partner meetings alongside Board or staff members, as appropriate. Represent Lotus at community events, meetings, and other networking opportunities
- Work closely with Board members to identify prospects, coordinate cultivation andstewardship, provide support and assistance for Board fundraising efforts, and trackprogress towards fundraising goals.
Administration and Communication
- Maintain the donor database (Little Green Light), ensuring communications and information pertinent to donor cultivation and giving are entered and tracked. Ensure timely and appropriateacknowledgment of all contributions and coordinate ongoing and new stewardship efforts. Write timely and strategic correspondences to advance relationships with donors and sponsors. Process all invoices and acknowledgements for sponsors and development activity vendors.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting on sponsored Lotus events and programs, providing written summaries to all funders, grantors, sponsors, and Board members. Develop and monitor keyperformance indicators and coordinate development/marketing calendar with Lotus staff.
- Work closely with Lotus Marketing Director to co-create promotional materials and communication assets required for development activities, such as posters, monthly E- news, mailings, and emceeremarks. In partnership with Marketing staff, carefully track and coordinate sponsor benefits, grantoracknowledgments, and donor recognition.
- Uphold high ethical standards in donor communications and relations, ensuringcompliance with the standards of professional conduct for fundraising.
Grant Management, Event Management, and General Support
- Identify and write targeted grant applications on behalf of Lotus, to meet budgeted grant- revenue goals. Manage grant administration. Work with other staff members to collect details for grantnarratives and budgets, ensure timely submission of application materials, and ensure compliancewith grantor recognition requirements and reporting.
- Take a leadership role in Lotus fundraising or stewardship events, including Edible Lotus, theBlossoms and Festival Patron Receptions, and donor/prospect receptions. Work closely with the Special Events Committee, student interns, and Lotus staff to ensure successful event planning, logistics, marketing, execution, and follow-up.
- Set up, clean up, and manage the Festival Store and oversee Store Managers during the LotusFestival. Manage Festival Store inventory at Lotus storage spaces. Set up Festival payment systems. Track ticket and merchandise purchases. Provide financial records to ExecutiveDirector.
- Chair the Festival Merchandise Committee to coordinate souvenir sales as an earned incomeactivity. Oversee Festival Accessibility Committee and identify accessibility efforts that may be eligible for funding support, and ensure compliance with accessibility requirements of local, state, and federal grants.
- Provide other general event support as needed and requested, including "all-hands-on- deck"tasks and assignments that may not be connected to development activities
The successful candidate must have a commitment to the Lotus mission of creating opportunities toexperience, celebrate, and explore the diversity of the world's cultures, through music and the arts. A bachelor's degree is required, along with at least 2-3 years of professional experience in development or arelated field/equivalent experience. Understanding of the non-profit sector is a must. A record ofdemonstrated success developing funding support for programs, projects, and facilities - including grant-writing, sponsorships, and donor relationships - is essential. Possessing excellent written and oral communications skills is also important, as is having a high proficiency with donor database systems (Lotususes the Little Green Light platform).
This candidate will be deadline-driven, detail-oriented, and highly organized, with the ability to managecomplex, multiple, and simultaneous projects. Teamwork is essential, as is having the ability to take on leadership and initiative to complete projects independently. This includes having the ability to delegate. An understanding of event production is useful for this position. Other ideal qualities include experience with managing data sets accurately and efficiently, budgeting, and general office administration.
And finally, the Lotus Development Director should possess innovative thinking and creative problem-solving skills to identify and develop new opportunities for Lotus, as well as have the ability to create andsustain high-level partnerships and understand how to administer grants in concert with other staff and the Executive Director. They should also excel at working collaboratively with diverse groups, in order tomanage and resolve complex problems.
Click the APPLY button to Apply online by June 4