Lead Organizer - EmpowerED Families
- 01-Jun-2021 to 30-Jun-2021
- - EmpowerED Families
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
About EmpowerED Families
The mission of EmpowerED Families (EF) is to build family power through relationships while rallying behind the strengths of parents to weave together the home, school, and community, to fight for high-quality education. EmpowerED Families connects with Indianapolis parents, families, community and school leaders to help build parent power and to activate change.
We do this work by listening, educating, organizing, and leading:
Listen: We believe in the value of conversation and provide a safe space for parents and educators to share their needs and concerns. We host one-on-one meetings and small group conversations that we call House Meetings.
Educate: We also teach parents ways to effectively advocate for high-quality education within the schools that their children attend. We host events and trainings to enable parents, educators and families to learn and grow together.
Organize: We help parents and families realize the power of their own voice to activate change. We help parents organize to create urgency around the issues that are most important to them.
Lead: We activate parents to realize their own power and to step into leadership within schools and communities. Our movement is led by families for families.
The Lead Organizer position at EmpowerED Families, reporting to the Executive Director, is primarily responsible for identifying, training, and developing families and parents to be leaders in their communities. The ideal candidate will be a master community organizer, with a passion for educational equity and a knack for developing people as leaders in their communities. The Lead Community Organizer will coach, mentor, and develop organizers in Indianapolis to lead and execute local campaigns aligned with the organizational mission of EmpowerED Families.
Strong candidates embody the following principles:
- 100% Follow-Through: No dropped balls policy. Stay on top of specific tasks and consistently meet deadlines.
- Spirit of Yes: Embrace the obstacles that will pop up and be creative on how you come up with solutions. Embrace the changing landscape and adapt quickly.
- Action-oriented: You must love getting people together to take action. You must be willing to step outside of your comfort zone and know how to motivate others to get out of theirs.
Identify, train and develop parents, families and other community members as leaders in the principles and practices of community organizing in order to build powerful family-driven teams.
- Strong ability to organize digitally, leveraging social and online-meeting platforms.
- Build multiple teams that drive local issue work and develop public school families into a powerful voice in their schools, neighborhoods, cities, and statewide.
- Develop and lead training to grow families in their advocacy, organizing, and leadership skills.
- Mobilize parents and families to lead or attend large public forums, rallies, and actions demonstrating the power of families.
- Manage and maintain a timely and comprehensive database of current and potential EmpowerED Families members.
- Execute and manage advocacy campaigns that include families at all levels.
- Develop and maintain external relationships related to EmpowerED Families' community organizing work in Indianapolis, including political, grass-roots, education sector, local government, neighborhood, and faith-based institution relationships.
- Develop a proficiency in education issues, learning best practices in school development, education policy, and the elements of excellent public schools
Training and Coaching
- Day-to-day management and support of the EmpowerED Families' part-time Outreach Coordinator
- Develop strategy to maximize the impact of both the work of the Outreach Coordinator (e.g. life skills coaching, supporting parents to navigate the education system) and education organizing
- Potential for developing, training, and supporting 1-2 organizers as they identify, develop, and partner with families to win local campaigns.
- Use data on family/parent needs and interests to support the organization's decision making.
- Help organizers and parent leaders develop and implement family campaigns, knowing their community and issues; remain a step ahead in knowledge of local organizing opportunities to inform campaign design; articulate specific, developmentally appropriate and differentiated strategies to engage families in campaigns.
- As needed, observe organizers in the field at least twice weekly, with coaching and reflection on observations of 1:1s, team meetings, family actions, or trainings.
- As needed, use observations from the field to inform organizers' individual professional development plans that tie-in to career goals as well as performance evaluations.
- Demonstrated track record of exemplary community organizing and leadership development experience.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to build relationships quickly with diverse stakeholders.
- Experience managing multiple, simultaneous projects and a strong ability to plan strategically and marshal resources toward the implementation of that plan.
- Ability to take initiative and high levels of ownership for outcomes, and exercise sound judgment in day-to-day decision-making.
- Understand and appreciate the use of outcomes-based data and information to help drive performance.
- Passion for and demonstrated commitment to social and educational justice.
- Willingness to work flexible hours including weeknights and weekends; ability to travel and work remotely; driver's license and access to a vehicle.
- Strong technology skills with ability to work and execute on remote platforms.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Experience managing staff and/or teams
- 3-5 years of professional work experience
- Spanish fluency highly preferred
- Campaigning, lobbying, advocacy, public policy, training, or relevant experience
- Comfort with multiple modes of effective communication, including social and on-line media tools
- Deep knowledge of and/or personal experience in Indianapolis education system and advocacy landscape
Click the APPLY button to submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume to Ontay Johnson.