Director of Communications - Keep Indianapolis Beautiful
- 07-Jun-2021 to 06-Jul-2021
- - Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc.
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- $47,000 - $54,500
- Full Time
- Health, dental & vision insurance (company pays 80-90% of employee coverage), life insurance, long-term disability insurance, 403b match of 3%, generous PTO and holiday schedule
Promotes and supports the mission and goals of Keep Indianapolis Beautiful through marketing, communications and public relations efforts. Responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating KIB's marketing strategies, communications, and public relations activities. Protect KIB's brand, serving to monitor its use and direct its evolution.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
Marketing, Communications and Public Relations
- Create, implement, and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations plan that directly supports the stated mission and objectives of KIB;
- Ensure consistent articulation of KIB's mission and activities to all constituencies, both internal and external, including, but not limited to: media, donors, partners, volunteers, board, staff, nonprofit community, social media audience, and public-at-large;
- Proactively assist KIB programs staff in the marketing, communications and positioning of organizational activities, including volunteer recruitment;
- Provide editorial direction and content for KIB's publications, including, but not limited to monthly e-newsletters, social media platforms, website, program brochures, promotional material, and donor appeals and journeys;
- Generate media interest in KIB and ensure regular contact with target media, working with key staff to coordinate media appearances and respond to requests, including serving as a media spokesperson when appropriate;
- Engage community partners, serving as a KIB's liaison or committee representative on identified collaborative and collective impact projects;
- Track and report regularly on agreed-upon metrics related to marketing initiatives (impressions, earned media, online engagement, etc.);
- Create and maintain style guide, working across departments to ensure consistent use of brand assets.
- Actively participates in VP-Director management group meetings and decisions;
- Works side-by-side with Development team to support fundraising by assisting with donor communications, partnership deliverables, and events;
- Meets regularly with managers and program staff across all KIB departments to ensure consistent support for a variety of initiatives;
- Directly supports President and CEO, as needed, by providing talking points, materials, resources, and other information for meetings and presentations.
Planning and Budgeting
- Develop and monitor annual workplan for Marketing department, using organizational strategic plan as a guide for outcomes;
- Based on annual workplan, develop and manage annual departmental expense budget;
- Develop and adhere to project-specific marketing plans and budgets to support funding proposals (grants and sponsorships);
- Oversee and manage vendor relationships as appropriate to the role.
- Recruit, train, supervise, support, and guide Marketing Coordinator;
- Assist with recruiting and supervising department interns, as needed and approved.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities;
- Exceptional writing skills, including use of persuasive language and technical ability;
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and organizational skills;
- Experience developing and managing people and budgets;
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations, pitching media, and negotiating with vendors;
- Experience designing and producing print materials and publications;
- Adept in social media platforms and website development and management;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite;
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience working with Salesforce and/or Pardot is preferred, but not required.
Education and/or equivalent experience:
- Five to seven years of professional experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success. Nonprofit experience is preferred. Knowledge of KIB programs is a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, marketing, public relations required.
Keep Indianapolis Beautiful helps people and nature thrive most effectively when we reflect the diversity of perspectives, voices, and abilities found throughout our city. The principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our work, from supporting biodiversity in nature to engaging communities. KIB is an equal opportunity employer that encourages applicants, including persons of color, people who are LGBTQ, veterans, people who are multilingual or multicultural, and individuals of various ages and abilities to help us create a team with a broad range of backgrounds and thinking.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.