Controller - Keep Indianapolis Beautiful
- 07-Jun-2021 to 06-Jul-2021
- - Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc.
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Health, dental, & vision insurance; company-paid life and long-term disability insurance; 403(b) employer matches 3%; generous PTO and holiday schedule
Purpose: The Controller is responsible for managing the daily operations and overall finances of the organization. The ideal candidate will exemplify the organization's values of being a partner, a leader, trustworthy and selfless through support of and engagement with donors, volunteers, and community stakeholders.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provide effective management and reporting of fiscal resources. Design and implement financial procedures to meet organizational objectives.
- Manage accounting functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management, banking deposits, general ledger activities, journal entries, contract management, and monthly financial reporting, including income statements and balance sheets. Ensure all activity is accurately entered and coded to the proper department, activity, project, and expense line.
- Develop and manage organizational budget process. Manage and monitor monthly revenue and expenses against the budget.
- Manage capital budget, including monitoring of funds available for capital projects and working with staff on regular basis to determine current and future building, IT, vehicle, and other needs.
- Prepare monthly financial statements, including budget vs. actual monthly and year-to-date.
- Prepare monthly invoices for all contracts and corporate invoices. Provide financial reporting support for organization when applying and negotiating new contracts.
- Meets with CEO and Board Finance Committee to regularly to review financial status and makes necessary recommendations to ensure strong financial position.
- Produce monthly financial reporting that reconciles General Ledger to GAAP.
- Assist with reports for funding proposals and grants as requested by the staff.
- Manage annual financial audit process and preparation of information for completion of the 990s with external auditors. Prepare the annual property tax returns. Provide support for the Audit Committee.
- Manage payroll, using ADP Workforce Now, including submission of payroll to service provider biweekly, submission of 403(b) contributions and HSA contributions on a biweekly basis.
- Manage KIB business insurance relationship, including annual meeting with insurance agent, ensuring insurance levels are adequate and updating information as needed.
- Attend staff, management, VP-Directors, and board meetings, as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum 5-7 years of progressively responsible work experience managing the accounting functions in a non-profit organization, or equivalent experience.
- Thorough knowledge of budgeting and accounting practices, processes, and procedures of non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, direct and coordinate accounting, personnel, and facilities operations.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong organization and analytical skills.
- Ability to interact professionally with staff, board members, volunteers, and key partners.
- Ability to analyze data, and prepare financial reports/statements
- Experience with non-profit accounting, ADP Workforce Now, and Abila MIP Accounting preferred.
Success Factors / Job Competencies
Characteristics of a Strong Candidate:
- Excited about working at a dynamic nonprofit organization with other smart, motivated people where your work has a real impact on the success of the organization.
- Comfortable greeting visitors, making our neighborhood partners feel welcome and helping your fellow employees take care of meeting program demands.
- Detail-oriented. Someone who loves making lists and taking notes about all the things that need to be accomplished.
- A team player who will pitch in and help do what it takes to get a job done.
- Motivated to learn new skills and expand the scope of your responsibilities.
- Proactive, high-energy, and reliable.
Keep Indianapolis Beautiful helps people and nature thrive most effectively when we reflect the diversity of perspectives, voices, and abilities found throughout our city. The principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our work, from supporting biodiversity in nature to engaging communities. KIB is an equal opportunity employer that encourages applicants, including persons of color, people who are LGBTQ, veterans, people who are multilingual or multicultural, and individuals of various ages and abilities to help us create a team with a broad range of backgrounds and thinking.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.